Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Banks of the Ayrshire Company 8 years 9 months ago #41986

• Rory
  • Rory's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2142
I seem to have "amassed", quite unintentionally, a large number of medals to the 17th and 18th Companies of the 6th Battalion, Imperial Yeomanry.

Donald Banks saw service in the Boer War and then did his bit in East Africa as part of the locally raised units there.

Donald David Banks

Trooper, 17th Company, 6th Battalion, Imperial Yeomanry – the “Ayrshire Company”
Warrant Officer 1st Class – East African Mounted Rifles/Supply Corps

- Queens South Africa Meal with clasps Cape Colony, Orange Free State & Transvaal to 21029 Tpr. D.D. Banks, 6th Imp. Yeo.
- 1914/15 Star to Pte. D.D. Banks, E.A.M. Rifles
- British War Medal to W.O. Cl. 1, D.D. Banks, E.A.M. Rif
- Victory Medal to W.O. Cl. 1, D.D. Banks, E.A.M. Rif

Donald Banks was born in the small, isolated settlement of Olrig near Caithness in the Scottish Highlands on 10 March 1878 the son of Alexander Banks and his wife Mary. The 1881 Scotland census contains no trace of him and there is a chance that he might have been staying with his grandparents at the time the enumerators called round. Alexander Banks was a Shepherd and it was into this idyllic pastoral setting that Banks would have been introduced.

The 1891 Scotland census provides us with a glimpse of Donald for the first time. The family were still resident in Olrig but Mr and Mrs Banks had been very productive indeed. Joining a 13 year old Donald in the house was John (11), Ann (9), Alexander (7), Christina (5) and James (3). Life must have been tough for the son of a shepherd with opportunities for advancement few and far between. Despite this fact Banks was to make something of himself in the years to come.

The Boer War commenced in October 1899 an event which only really caused a stir among the regular armed forces initially. This was set to change with Black Week and the dawning realisation among the British public that what had been perceived to be a short conflict was in fact turning into something more prolonged.

On 24 January 1901 Banks completed the Attestation forms for Short Service with the Colours at Lanark and, having been found fit for the army, was enrolled as a Trooper with the 17th Company of the 6th Battalion, Imperial Yeomanry. Assigned no. 21029 and the rank of Trooper he was a Law Clerk with the firm of Keith & Murray in Thurso by occupation. Aged 22 years and 10 months he was 5 feet 7 ½ inches in height and had a dark complexion with brown eyes and brown hair. He confirmed that he had prior militia service with the 1st Sutherland Rifles Volunteers. He provided his father, Alexander Banks of Shalmstry, Thurso as his next of kin.

After a 29 day long voyage Banks arrived in South Africa on 21 February 1901 and was deployed in the field. According to the “Scottish Yeomanry in South Africa” by Trooper A.S. Orr published in Glasgow in 1901, the 17th Company had quite a time of it. Sadly the book ends more or less where Banks’ service begins but there is a bit of overlap.

Banks would have been part of what Orr described as “With Colonel Pilcher – Fourth Trek” from 11 March till 12 May 1901. On 14 March the column left Bloemfontein on an expedition to clear the district between Ladybrand, Ficksburg and Winburg in the Orange Free State. On the 22nd they marched through Modder Poort to nearby Clocolan where they remained for 2 days, and were sent out on patrols. The 17th Company men were sent to a farm to round up some livestock when they suddenly came under fire from some Boers on a high ridge above the farm. The fire was well directed and the Boers so well hidden that the troops had no-one to aim at and retired empty handed. On the 26th the column marched through Clocolan where the Boers were gathering in greater force and opposed the Yeomanry men more obstinately. The mobility of the column was also reduced by the convoy of refugees and livestock that had to be taken along.

The 17th Company under Major Campbell had been in a hot corner during the day, having been volleyed at by some men of the King’s Own Scottish Borderers, while engaging Boers on the other side. After this the farm cleaning operations continued.

Banks was to continue on with his “Ayrshire men” – those of the 17th Company and further drafts of what was known as the “5 shilling men” joined as the war progressed. For his efforts he was awarded the Queens Medal with 5 clasps – Cape Colony, Orange Free State, Transvaal, South Africa 1901 & 1902. He was repatriated to England and took his discharge on 11 August 1902 at Aldershot on termination of his engagement. His conduct on his Proceedings on Discharge form was rated as Good and he was credited with 1 year and 200 days service.

Post war Banks returned to his civilian pursuits but, having had exposure to the more moderate African climate, he determined to emigrate to the Dark Continent arriving in Kenya and settling in Kisumu in about 1912. On 11 July 1913 he was awarded a Feather Merchant’s Licence starting up a business in that line.

The outbreak of World War I in August 1914 interrupted Banks’ plans. Kenya was far removed from the main conflict theatres but, with the presence of Otto Von Lettow Vorbek and his Askaris in the Region there was an urgent necessity to arm and equip local forces to combat any potential threat. Banks joined the ranks of the East African Mounted Rifles (E Squadron) as a Private, no. 369 on 8 August 1914 (four days after war was declared), later rising to the dizzy heights of Sergeant Major 1st Class with the East African Supply Corps (there is also a mention that he was with the Maxim Gun detachment). Interestingly, the Kenya Gazette of 7 April 1915 stated that he was liable for jury duty and provided his occupation as Fisherman, Kisumu.

The war over Banks was sent his medals – the 1914/15 Star, British War Medal and Victory Medal.
On the home front he entered into a partnership with Philip Henry Rudd Hunter of Kisumu. Together these worthies ran a Labour Recruiting Agency until 23 June 1919 when the partnership was dissolved after Banks decided to retire at the age of 50. This also gave him the opportunity to travel and, on 7 November 1921, having travelled down to Durban; he journeyed to the United Kingdom aboard the “Briton” arriving in Southampton and heading up to his family who still lived in Shalmstry, Thurso. On this occasion he described himself as a Planter. Planter of what we are left in doubt.

On 18 May 1922 he boarded the “Dunvegan Castle” at London bound for East Africa. This time round and for reasons known only to himself, Banks described himself as a Sergeant Major and his occupation as “Army”. On yet another of his trips, aboard the “Norman” homeward bound to Kenya on 15 July 1922 he, once more, described himself as Sergeant Major D.D. Banks but on this occasion termed himself Planter as well.

We next encounter Banks courtesy of the Voters’ Roll provided by the Kenya Gazette on 16 November 1936 where he is recorded as being in Electoral Area 1 (Nairobi North). He worked for the Public Works Department and was married to Gladys. Banks would have been 58 years old. He passed away in Nairobi on 20 July 1949 at the age of 71. His only child, Ivy Banks, had been born on 10 January 1927 but died seven days later.

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Banks of the Ayrshire Company 8 years 3 months ago #44952

• Alexander 65
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello Rory, I don't suppose that among your collection of 18th Company 6th battalion I.Y medals you have a QSA for a Pte William Meikle 8704? He is my great Granddad and died in 1944, none of the family know what happened to his Boer and WW1 medals. until recently I was not even aware that he fought in the campaign! He joined the RFA in 1914 aged 49 and served throughout the war transferring to the new tank Corp in 1917. Finding his medals now is like a needle in a haystack as they could be in any branch of collection!
If you do have them and do not wish to part with them, I have various photos of William and I could send you a copy?
I am sorry to ask but your collection sounded like a good starting point, as a collector, can you suggest any other people or places to look? Many thanks. Alex.

Banks of the Ayrshire Company 8 years 3 months ago #44963

• Rory
  • Rory's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2142
Sorry Alex no I haven't. You might want to trawl through some of the auction houses' websites for archived auctions e.g Dix Noonan Webb - if the medals were sold via them they would have a record of it. Other than that you should join a medal collectors site although if your only interest is you relatives medals then it might not be worth it.

I'm afraid, unless you are born lucky, you face an uphill struggle to find them.

Good luck

Rory
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alexander 65

Banks of the Ayrshire Company 8 years 3 months ago #44965

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
It is an uphill struggle, quite frankly, even today, in Great Britain, silver medals and their clasps, are still, sadly, on occasion, scrapped.

Rory wrote: Sorry Alex no I haven't. You might want to trawl through some of the auction houses' websites for archived auctions e.g Dix Noonan Webb - if the medals were sold via them they would have a record of it. Other than that you should join a medal collectors site although if your only interest is you relatives medals then it might not be worth it.

I'm afraid, unless you are born lucky, you face an uphill struggle to find them.

Good luck

Rory

Banks of the Ayrshire Company 8 years 2 months ago #45195

• Alexander 65
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi Rory, Thank you very much for the reply, I will give the auction web a go. I feel that my granddads niece may have helped herself to the medals as she had a brick a brack type shop in Torphichen and sold them on! I may buy a copy set and keep praying for luck!
Many thanks

Regards

Alex

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.484 seconds