Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

A.F. Robertson - CC & RM Swellendam 8 years 11 months ago #41157

• Rory
  • Rory's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 2147
Robertson was an important man who would seem to have been used by the Cape Colonial Government as a Victorian version of the modern-day Forensics Investigator. He was certainly a problem solver for his time.

Abraham Faure Robertson

Civil Commissioner and Chief Magistrate

- Queens South Africa Medal to A.F. Robertson

A. Faure Robertson, as he signed himself, was quite an important man in the Cape Colonial Administration in the latter half of the 19th Century. Born in the Cape Province in about 1847 he was destined to enter the Civil Service almost from the time he finished his schooling and, whilst in their employ, was assigned to a number of Magistracies in the Cape Colony.

Commencing employment on 1 April 1868 he was continuously employed but not paid for the first two years of labour although, by his own admission he “acquired great experience” and when gainfully employed from 22 June 1870 was “quite able to discharge the duties then devolving upon me”. This was in Swellendam where he was to make his mark in later life.

According to him the Government at the time “had such confidence in me that, as far back as August 1872 I was appointed Assistant Civil Commissioner and Resident Magistrate at George”. This was quite a feather in the cap of a man who was then only 25 years of age.

From 3 December 1873 until 19 January 1874 he was employed on transfer in the same capacity to the small hamlet of Prince Alfred and during the period 1874 until 1876 he was several times appointed to the Magistracy of Bredasdorp in the Southern Cape. Robertson was noted for his administrative abilities and was the epitome of efficiency being made the Secretary of the Tender Board from 16 April 1877 until 30 April 1879 where after, having relinquished his post in a letter to Sir Abercrombie Smith, he worked for the Executive Council of the Colony as a member of the Second Departmental Committee upon the system of Books and Accounts.

From there he moved on, in 1883, to head an Enquiry into and Report upon the Financial System of Books and Accounts in the “Transkeian Territories” at the instigation of the Native Affairs Department but all this was to be the curtain-raiser to what was probably to be Robertson’s finest hour – his detachment to the Imperial Government and appointment as the first Civil Commissioner and Resident Magistrate of Vryburg which was then in British Bechuanaland, a separate territory autonomous from the Cape Colony.

The “History of South Africa, from 1873 to 1884, twelve eventful years, with continuation of the history of Galekaland, Tembuland, Pondoland, and Bethshuanaland until the annexation of those territories to the Cape Colony, and of Zululand until its annexation to Natal” by Theal, George McCall, 1837-1919 encapsulates the story well,

“On 30 September 1885 a proclamation was issued by Sir Hercules Robinson declaring her Majesty’s sovereignty over that portion of the Protectorate lying north of the Cape Colony, south of Ramathlabama Spruit and the Molopo River, that makes a bend to the south, which was to be termed British Bechuanaland.

The governor of the Cape Colony was by a separate commission appointed governor of British Bechuanaland. As administrator and supreme chief Judge Sidney Godolphin Alexander Shippard was appointed, and on the 23rd October 1885 arrived at Vryburg which was to be the seat of government.

British Bechuanaland was to be divided into 3 districts: Vryburg, of which Mr. Abraham Faure Robertson was appointed civil commissioner and resident magistrate......”

So Robertson had been recognised for all his years of toil on behalf of the government. Once his time was over in Vryburg assisting with establishment of a Legal system for the new government Robertson moved on and by 1890 was the Civil Commissioner and Resident Magistrate at Colesburg and by 1892 occupied the same position at Robertson (not named after him). His time in Colesburg was not without incident and he wrote, “When appointed in Colesburg I succeeded an officer who had been dismissed – I found the Books and Accounts, especially as regards Health Board Expenditure, in a deplorable state. I was fortunate enough to adjust matters and received some kudos as a result.”

In 1898 he was sent to Kimberley at the behest of Mr. Justice Graham, the Attorney General, “in connection with the elucidation of the true state of affairs regarding certain Railway Accounts. I sent in my report which I understood was adopted and suggestions carried out.”

In the grand scheme of things the Boer War rolled round in October 1899 finding Robertson in charge of the Magistracies of Ceres and Swellendam, an annotation on the medal roll for the Attorney General’s Ministerial Division off which his medal was issued in February 1905 makes special reference to the fact that Robertson was also the Chairman of the Beaufort West Red Cross Committee in December 1899. Quite what his duties were in the war in unclear but, as a senior Civil Servant, he would have been involved in keeping the wheels of justice running smoothly in the areas under his control.

The war over Robertson was able to turn his full attention to his career. At this stage he was already 53 years old and edging ever closer to the mandatory retirement age for government officials. Robertson was not, however, intending to without a fight. What started the ball rolling was an innocuous letter from the Attorney General’s Office, Cape Town dated 28 May 1907 which read,

“My dear Robertson

I am sorry to have to convey the decision of government that you should apply to be allowed to retire on the ground of superannuation from 1st January next. The period is some way off but Mr. Sampson wished you to have as long notice as possible.

Yours Sincerely

Sir John Graham”

At around this time Robertson applied for leave to see his son married, whilst away he wrote to Sir John Graham from “Nagelfontein”, Bloemfontein on 29 April 1908 as follows,

“My dear Sir John

From Cradock, after I saw my son married, I came up here to see my brothers-in-law and contemplated going from here to Bloemfontein to see my brothers, whom I have not seen for many years. Mrs. Robertson has sent me here your note of 22nd instant; my leave as you know expires on the 2nd – as soon after my return home as possible I shall address you fully on the subject of my retirement. I have not made any arrangements about retirement at end of June next. I am very loathe to retire – I have still 4 children wholly dependent upon me; one is at College in Cape Town. Humanly speaking I am in bodily health as strong as I was 10 years ago. I am mentally also quite capable to perform my work.

I should very much like to be in active service still for a year or two – Could you not kindly keep the matter in abeyance until after I get home? Will you not please see Mr. Bunton on the subject? I was in hopes owing to the present depleted state of our finances that the present government would have been in favour of men, still strong and able and willing to remain in harness – retaining their situation and thereby not increasing the Pension expenditure. My salary is £700 p.a.; my pension let’s say £450: if hence my services are retained at £250. Excuse haste. From Swellendam shall write more.

Ever yours faithfully

A. Faure Robertson”

This plea, as well crafted as it was, fell on deaf ears and Robertson, after 40 years of devoted service, was required to retire with effect from 24 July 1908.

Abraham Faure Robertson passed away at his residence, 16 Hofmeyr Street, Cape Town at the age of 67 on 9 October 1914. He had suffered with Valvular Heart Disease for three months prior to that.
[/size]

[/size]
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

A.F. Robertson - CC & RM Swellendam 8 years 11 months ago #41158

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1879
Good Morning Rory......

Just love your research....... Wish I was able to find the same here.......

Great work and thanks.......

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.662 seconds