• djb
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500
Pictures courtesy of the Highlanders' Museum

Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Medals to Lovat's Scouts 2 years 2 months ago #80633

• djb
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
A private of Lovat's Scouts

Source: Under the Union Jack, Vol II
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moranthorse1

Medals to Lovat's Scouts 1 year 4 months ago #86782

• djb
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
From the City Coins auction, 4 November 2022

QSA (4) Tugela Heights, Orange Free State, South Africa 1901, South Africa 1902 (36550 Pte W. Dear Lovats Scouts. I. Y.). (This medal has been skimmed and reimpressed upside down);
1915-15 Star (Pte W. Dear Ntl Light Hse.);
BWM and AVM (bilingual) (Pte W. Dear 2nd S.A.I.)

William Dear served in the 113th Coy. I.Y. Lovat’s Scouts and the copied Rolls show entitlement to the Cape Colony two South Africa bars only.

After the Boer War Serjt. William Dear served with the Transvaal Town Police having joined the Transvaal Civil Service on 16 January 1902. 1905 He went on leave to England. Served as Signaller Natal Light Horse from 1 September 1914 to 16 June 1916. Served in France with 2nd SAI and present in Delville Wood.
Dr David Biggins

Medals to Lovat's Scouts 1 month 2 days ago #94296

• Moranthorse1
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 742
36745 PRIVATE ALEXANDER MACPHERSON: LOVAT'S SCOUTS (114TH COMPANY IMPERIAL YEOMANRY).

A recent acquisition which I was hoping, after research into the recipient, might reveal a ghillie or a gamekeeper well into his forties but a master of stealth and concealment.

However, this was not to be as he was of the second contingent 114th Company Imperial Yeomanry (not disappointed!) and his biographical details are as
follows.

Alexander MacPherson was born in Rothes, Elgin in the county of Morayshire, right up in the north of Scotland, in around 1868. The census of 1871 has father Duncan (37 born in Edderton, Ross and Cromarty) employed as an agricultural labourer. His mother Helen (36 born in Rothes, Morayshire) also had children John (7), James (0). 4 year old niece Helen J F McIntosh was staying with the Macphersons on census day.
Alexander was very much of highland stock.
He was 33 years old when he attested to Lovat's Scouts at Beaufort Castle on 10th May 1901, and as such was enrolled into the second contingent of the corps, namely 114th Company of the Imperial Yeomanry.
He declared previous service with the Royal Scots Greys, therefore, would have been a competent horseman and would know how to handle a weapon and also be fully conversant with military discipline. A prime recruit in anybody's book.

His peacetime occupation is recorded as Labourer.

Alexander was a fairly well developed man as his vital statistics would imply. He stood 5' 8 1/2" and weighed 168 lbs.(12 stones). His chest measurement was 40"-43", he had a fresh complexion, hazel eyes and brown hair.
Presbyterian was his religious denomination.

His total service with Lovat's Scouts was 1 year and 108 days including his voyage to and from South Africa.

His next of kin was his father Duncan MacPherson who resided at number 5 Caledonian Street, Nairn.

Queen's South Africa medal awarded to Alexander McPherson bearing clasps Cape Colony, Orange Free State, South Africa 1901 & 1902 as confirmed on the Medal Roll WO100/130.

Regimental number, rank and name impressed to the rim.

Regimental detail impressed to the rim. It was nice to pick up a QSA to the Lovat's Scouts bearing just the unit naming without I.Y. etc.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave F, Sturgy

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.797 seconds