TOPIC:

KSA 9 years 9 months ago #21411

• Puddlington
  • Puddlington's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 1
Hullo all, I hope you can help me

My Gt Grandfather 3549 Pte G Perry 1 Glocs was awarded the QSA with 1 Bar (Natal) and has on his medal ribbon a KSA (as well as LSGC Medal, Victory and War Medal with MID) I can find the citations and medal rolls for all medals except the KSA. Unfortunately, this was lost and the medal bar has the ribbon on the wrong way round as well. How or where can I check his KSA? (As an addendum, his LSGC medal is with 1KDG service no. 5842)

I'm sure this kind of question has been asked numerous times, so apologies in advance.

Regards

Mark Perry

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

KSA 9 years 9 months ago #21414

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 717
Mark

Perhaps his KSA was self-awarded, which did happen on occasions. The Gloucester Regiment left Natal not long after the Ladysmith Siege was lifted and I doubt that any members of the regiment qualified for the KSA. I do not have access to the regiment's QSA roll, but I suspect that the only clasps listed are 'Defence of Ladysmith' or 'Natal'.

Regards
Brett
The following user(s) said Thank You: Puddlington

KSA 9 years 9 months ago #21415

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4517
Mark,

I don't think your ggf was awarded the KSA. He earned his QSA with the 1st Glucesters and they left South Africa in August 1900, before they became eligible for the KSA. There are medals rolls for the KSA but he is not listed on them. As Brett suggests, this would seem to be a self award.

Best wishes
David
Dr David Biggins
The following user(s) said Thank You: Puddlington

KSA 9 years 9 months ago #21423

• Puddlington
  • Puddlington's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 1
Hi Brett and David

Thank you very much for that. Having read around the subject for the past number of weeks, I am slowly coming to the same conclusion :( There is one straw to clutch at though, on his medal roll it does state that the QSA was awarded to him but he had left the Regiment when the roll was produced. Could he have joined 1KDG before he left South Africa, perhaps? He was married in Gloucester in April of 1901??

Thanks for you help so far

Regards

Mark

KSA 9 years 9 months ago #21424

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Mark,

I checked the roll for the 1st King's Dragoon Guards and there is no one of this surname listed. Sorry :(
Dr David Biggins

KSA 9 years 9 months ago #21425

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Mark,

I have also checked FindMyPast to see if there are any papers for him using both service numbers but it appears not. If he served in the Great War, he is likely to have been issued with a new number too.

Good luck with your search
David
Dr David Biggins

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.423 seconds