Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Andy May paintings 10 years 7 months ago #13870

• Brett Hendey
  • Brett Hendey's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 717
Frank

Mike will know for certain, but I think there was a strong Canadian influence in the SAC, so perhaps B-P took advice from them.

Evidently, Andy May researched his subjects very carefully and I know of no criticisms of his representations of uniforms and accoutrements. I did wonder about the use of 'Constable' in the SAC pic. 'Trooper' was perhaps more likely during the war.

Regards
Brett

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Andy May paintings 10 years 7 months ago #13873

• coldstream
  • Thank you received: 214
Hello Brett,

Many thanks as always :)

Cheers
Paul :)

Brett Hendey wrote: Paul

I am sure that will be fine. I think Andy May would be pleased to know his images are appreciated. I will e-mail you a copy of the Devons Pvt later.

Like Brian, I have not seen these prints on sale for many a year. I also do not know if Andy May is still alive. He had retired to live on the Natal South Coast, but later moved elsewhere.

Regards
Brett

"From a billow of the rolling veldt we looked back, and black columns were coming up behind us."

Andy May paintings 10 years 7 months ago #13874

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Hello Brett,
I think any influence came from Colonel Steele and his part Canadian Northern Transvaal Division, but, I do know BP was very involved right from their incipient stage!
Kind regards Frank

Brett Hendey wrote: Frank

Mike will know for certain, but I think there was a strong Canadian influence in the SAC, so perhaps B-P took advice from them.

Evidently, Andy May researched his subjects very carefully and I know of no criticisms of his representations of uniforms and accoutrements. I did wonder about the use of 'Constable' in the SAC pic. 'Trooper' was perhaps more likely during the war.

Regards
Brett

Andy May paintings 10 years 7 months ago #13875

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1879
Good Evening Gentlemen....

Just got back from touring the Westerbork Transit/Concentration Camp, very imotive sight especially when you think that they held Anne Frank there.....

The uniform that was worn as a working dress was very influenced by Sam Steele and he wanted it to be very similar if not the same (but not in colour)as N.W.M.P., it was B.P. that designed a dress uniform of Dark Green.....

Until the arrival of the Sam Steele collection in the Glenbow I had heard and only seen photos of the Dress Greens......

Mike

Regards
Brett

Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

Andy May paintings 10 years 7 months ago #13891

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Brett,
I'm looking forward to your number one thousand post, am thinking it will be a special one!
Regards Frank

Regards
Brett

Andy May paintings 10 years 7 months ago #13893

• Brett Hendey
  • Brett Hendey's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 717
Frank

I decided on a topic earlier, but it wont be news to you, so you can ignore it!

Regards
Brett

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.456 seconds