Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

South African Light Horse title. 7 years 3 months ago #50371

• LinneyI
  • LinneyI's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1527
Interested members
Shown below is an SALH title fashioned from white metal and roughly sixty-five thou thick (has not been plated or if it had been, the plating has long since gone). While the title's face is intact, unfortunately some person/persons in the past have seen fit to solder later-type lugs to the rear. Indeed it looks like they have had a couple of goes at it.

This little badge was found at an Arms Fair on a stall amongst many WW1 badges. It was really inexpensive; the vendor at least had the good grace to apologise for its condition. IL could here express every platitude he uttered at that time. However, it is what it is and looks good on the display board.
I always liked the SALH.
Regards
IL.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

South African Light Horse title. 7 years 3 months ago #50372

• RoyS
  • Thank you received: 18
Hello Linneyl,

You really do have an incredible knack of finding these little badges. Not a badge or unit I am familiar with (but then as a novice ABW collectors I could say that about almost anything..:( ..)

Regardless..I'm grateful you have shared this little gem and well done for spotting it.

Cheerio,

Roy

Collecting/wanted ABW insignia if anyone has some spares?

My website: www.wilkinsonfscollection.com

South African Light Horse title. 7 years 3 months ago #50373

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 716
Here are some more SALH badges and titles:
angloboerwar.com/forum/search?query=Sout...ldforums=1&catids=21

Brett

South African Light Horse title. 7 years 3 months ago #50374

• RoyS
  • Thank you received: 18
Hi Brett,

Thank you for that.

I think I may have wrote a little in haste, as this morning looking through some of those splendid badge I have realized that I actually purchased one example a couple of weeks back. Fingers crossed it should be arriving over the next few days.

I did notice in the link Brett a splendid photograph of a mounted chap. On his Slouchy is a plume, can I ask if that is one way of determining he is a member of the SALH ? Or did other units wear something similar too?

Cheerio,

Roy

Collecting/wanted ABW insignia if anyone has some spares?

My website: www.wilkinsonfscollection.com

South African Light Horse title. 7 years 3 months ago #50380

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Good heavens Brett, I cannot believe that was some four years ago, I do remember looking at Cox, but, that was all I could remember on the day, just his surname, as I'd not written his details down, a nice medal.
Regards Frank

Brett Hendey wrote: Here are some more SALH badges and titles:
angloboerwar.com/forum/search?query=Sout...ldforums=1&catids=21

Brett

South African Light Horse title. 7 years 3 months ago #50381

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Ian, that example is a post Anglo Boer War, shoulder title, die cast in white metal, here, in Great Britain and worn by members of the Transvaal Volunteers serving in the regiment that bore the same name, the original regiment had actually been disbanded at Elandsfontein on the 7th of July 1902.
Interestingly, a few were worn in anger in Natal in 1906 by members of the Transvaal Mounted Rifles who had been drawn for special service in Natal from their regiment.
Regards Frank

LinneyI wrote: Interested members
Shown below is an SALH title fashioned from white metal and roughly sixty-five thou thick (has not been plated or if it had been, the plating has long since gone). While the title's face is intact, unfortunately some person/persons in the past have seen fit to solder later-type lugs to the rear. Indeed it looks like they have had a couple of goes at it.

This little badge was found at an Arms Fair on a stall amongst many WW1 badges. It was really inexpensive; the vendor at least had the good grace to apologise for its condition. IL could here express every platitude he uttered at that time. However, it is what it is and looks good on the display board.
I always liked the SALH.
Regards
IL.

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.708 seconds