TOPIC:

CapeTown Highlanders . 8 years 5 months ago #43422

• Roger252
  • Roger252's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Dear AngloBoerWar.com,
You have previously supplied most useful information concerning Joseph Croton who served in the Cape Town Highlanders . I believe he served as an Ostler .
I have attached a photograph of Joseph in his dress uniform and wonder whether you can tell me any more about this regiment . The kilt would indicate it has a connection with Scotland but Joseph had no connections there so I`m puzzled as to how he got involved .
Any help or guidance you can give will be much appreciated .
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

CapeTown Highlanders . 8 years 5 months ago #43423

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1527
Roger
Others on this site are better qualified than I regarding the intricacies of the CTH; however the publications section contains the text of Stirling's "The Colonials in South Africa" and the activities of the CTH are described therein. I don't think that Scottish background was a requirement for enlistment in that unit. The Mounted Infantry bandolier and Lee-Enfield rifle are the equipment I would expect to see him wearing.
Regards}
IL.

CapeTown Highlanders . 8 years 5 months ago #43425

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1873
Good Morning Roger......

There is a copy of the regimental history on ebay right now......

www.ebay.com BOOK-EPHEMERA-CAPE-TOWN-HIGHLANDERS-REGIMENTAL-HISTORY-SOUTH-AFRICA-ARMY-WW1-WW2 (Period 1885 to 1970) Item No. 131617399734

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

CapeTown Highlanders . 8 years 5 months ago #43429

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
A great photograph, his kilt is merely part of the regiments uniform, their connection with Scotland was simply that their original members, were, when the regiment was actually raised, descended from families from Scotland, who had moved down to the Cape of Good Hope.

Roger252 wrote: Dear AngloBoerWar.com,
You have previously supplied most useful information concerning Joseph Croton who served in the Cape Town Highlanders . I believe he served as an Ostler .
I have attached a photograph of Joseph in his dress uniform and wonder whether you can tell me any more about this regiment . The kilt would indicate it has a connection with Scotland but Joseph had no connections there so I`m puzzled as to how he got involved .
Any help or guidance you can give will be much appreciated .

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.862 seconds