Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Canadian Stetson Named to 3CMR 9 years 2 months ago #25196

• jholl72
  • jholl72's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 2
I was right! lol, I am learning....miss Id'd picture on the archive.
Thats more great information..I've yet to delve through all the threads here to continue my eduction. I've got some more reading to do.
Fred also served in WWI.

He has been identified by the seller as being the 2nd man from the left...I've asked how he knows this as I don't see anything on the four photos included with the stetson to confirm this.

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Canadian Stetson Named to 3CMR 9 years 2 months ago #25197

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1881
Hi Jeff.....

You will have a great time going through all the threads....... It is a great site for anyone interested in the Boer War, we all have to thank David for that.....

That same photo is in the Glenbow Archives as well but is unidentified as well..... Without being fully identified it is practically impossible to tell.....

One of the photos that I have in my collection though un-named is described in a letter from the Trooper to his mother so I guess I can positively identify him.

www.angloboerwar.com/forum/5-medals-and-...thcona-s-horse#20470

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

Canadian Stetson Named to 3CMR 9 years 2 months ago #25201

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4530
Jeff,

That's a great first post. many thanks for taking the time and effort to post so many pictures.

I am always impressed at the access to information in the Canadian archives and look forward to reading about more of your discoveries.

Best wishes
David
Dr David Biggins

Canadian Stetson Named to 3CMR 9 years 2 months ago #25213

• absentminded beggar
  • Thank you received: 11
Messrs djb & QSAMIKE, Sirs...

Not presuming to dispute, disagree with or disparage anything already posted, I am in a quandary deciding if the topic relates to hats or (their) occupants - maybe both?

If to do with hats - well, offered is a well-preserved example of the iconic headgear, reputedly as worn by owner/s serving in 3CMR, & rousing memories of Rose Marie-Nelson Eddie-Jeanette McDonald. Very pretty & impressive bearing in mind the item is older than any member of this forum, but, in passing, the Canuks were not the sole users of this glamorous Stetson during the ABW, as exemplified in the following pictures. The first requires no identification...

The second shows a group of SAC at the station in Modderfontein munitions factory during BP's occupation...

If to do with occupants - the interesting/puzzling group photo
of some 40-odd soldiery sporting the headdress in a variety of disarray & adornment never likely to pass muster on the parade ground. Of said group of merry-men, identified as 2CMR leaving for action in Boer War, many are adorned with a medal that has been accurately identified as the Toronto City Welome tribute knick-knack dished out inter alia to veterans returning from active service. That being as it may, a curiosity check of ABW website's Unit Listing makes mention only of 1CMR & 2CMR recruitment for late colonial service.

Never 2 late 2 learn.
amb
"The greatness of a nation consists not so much in the number of it's people or the extent of it's territory as in the extent and justice of its compassion"
Attachments:

Canadian Stetson Named to 3CMR 9 years 2 months ago #25214

• absentminded beggar
  • Thank you received: 11
Sirs...

Small glitch in appending the first photograph, now forwarded ...

Every Boy Scout knows who this is!
amb
"The greatness of a nation consists not so much in the number of it's people or the extent of it's territory as in the extent and justice of its compassion"
Attachments:

Canadian Stetson Named to 3CMR 9 years 2 months ago #25216

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1881
Good Morning AMB......

You are correct in a way.......

3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th Battalion, the Canadian Mounted Rifles – went to South Africa but never saw action, they arrived after the peace treaty had been signed......

Also see here......

www.angloboerwar.com/?option=com_content&view=article&id=375

The picture had been misidentified by the Archives in Vancouver as them leaving the picture actually first showed up in the Toronto Star as them returning......

The Stetson was used by all Canadian Mounted Troops in South Africa as supplied by the Canadian Government, SH, RCD, 1st and 2nd CMR and according to the History of the SAC they took the Canadian style uniform as it was more rugged than the British..... Also the 2ic of the SAC was Colonel Sam Steele, and ex Mountie and CO of Strathcona's Horse so there was a lot of influence there.....

Mike

absentminded beggar wrote:
If to do with occupants - the interesting/puzzling group photo of some 40-odd soldiery sporting the headdress in a variety of disarray & adornment never likely to pass muster on the parade ground. Of said group of merry-men, identified as 2CMR leaving for action in Boer War, many are adorned with a medal that has been accurately identified as the Toronto City Welome tribute knick-knack dished out inter alia to veterans returning from active service. That being as it may, a curiosity check of ABW website's Unit Listing makes mention only of 1CMR & 2CMR recruitment for late colonial service.

Never 2 late 2 learn.
amb

Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591
The following user(s) said Thank You: absentminded beggar

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 1.355 seconds