Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

CITY OF BIRMINGHAM WELCOME HOME / TRIBUTE MEDAL 2 years 3 months ago #81119

• Neville_C
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 1992
THREE available on eBay today (26 Jan 2022) .....

1. SOLD FOR £88.00

2. SOLD FOR £66.00

3. SOLD FOR £46.00

AND ANOTHER here:

www.mccarthymedals.com/shop.php?ps=1&pg=5#prettyPhoto

The more I look into this, the more I lean towards the idea that these were commercial souvenirs and not "tribute medals" as defined by Hibbard's criteria:

i) a tribute medal must be clearly identifiable by the name of the town, borough, county, regiment or other official issuing body.
ii) there must be evidence, preferably in the form of an inscription on the medal, to indicate it was presented by the issuing authority.
iii) the medal should be inscribed with the name of the recipient although this must not be regarded as an absolute requirement.

As things stand, I feel the Birmingham medal fails to meet criteria ii and iii. Though, of course, Hibbard did accept this as a tribute medal and included it in his book as medal #A4 (Scarce; 11 to 25 known examples).

The following user(s) said Thank You: djb, Moranthorse1, Smethwick

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

CITY OF BIRMINGHAM WELCOME HOME / TRIBUTE MEDAL 1 year 3 months ago #87916

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4530
From the next Noonan's auction

Picture courtesy of Noonan's

QSA (5) Cape Colony, Tugela Heights, Relief of Ladysmith, Transvaal, Orange Free State, unofficial rivets between top two clasps (3377 Pte. H. Bartlett, R. Welsh Fus:);
KSA (2) (3377 Pte. H. Bartlett, Rl: Welsh Fus:);
Birmingham Tribute Medal 1899-1902, gilt unnamed, with 1899-1902 top riband bar.

Together with a Queen Victoria’s Christmas Tin 1900 (containing a fragment of chocolate) and three decorated leaves of Veldt Grass (?), all mounted for display in a heavy wooden glass-fronted case, 354mm x 302mm x 56mm

Henry Alfred Bartlett was born at Balsall Heath, Birmingham. A Tube Drawer by occupation, he attested for the Royal Welsh Fusiliers at Birmingham on 19 October 1891, aged 18 years, 1 month. He served with the regiment in India, December 1893-November 1896; Malta, November-December 1896 and India, December 1896-December 1897. He was appointed Lance Corporal on 16 December 1899. He transferred to the Army Reserve in April 1898 but was recalled to the Colours in October 1899, and served in South Africa from October 1899 to August 1902. He was transferred to the Reserve once more in March 1903 and was discharged on 18 October 1903.
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

CITY OF BIRMINGHAM WELCOME HOME / TRIBUTE MEDAL 1 month 1 week ago #94616

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4530

Picture courtesy of Noble Numismatics

Described as:

BIRMINGHAM CITY TRIBUTE MEDAL, 1899-1902 Boer War, in white metal (38mm), by (H.B.) Sale, with pierced hole for suspension, obverse, head of Edward VII and Alexandra to right, reverse, Birmingham coat-of-arms, around the outside, 'In Grateful Remembrance Of Service Nobly Done', with ribbon marked 'ER' and pin-back gilt suspender bar '1899 Crown 1902'. A few small scratches, otherwise good very fine.
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 1.028 seconds