Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Princes Street Lancers - Lothian and Berwickshire Yeomanry 9 years 11 months ago #19510

• Paul76
  • Paul76's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Frank,
Family lore has it he was shot first so not likely to contest being bayoneted in the guts. He was supposed to not have eaten for some days and by some stroke of luck his intestines never got punctured. I could imagine it being some discarded bayonet being used maybe even his own. Just as well as otherwise I would not be reading some of the fascinating accounts in the books section. This really is a great site. I saw mention of the no.9 pill and John Stein had to take "horse pills" his whole life after the conflict.

Will being going to some museum with my father on Monday where this helmet and plume is to be loaned out for display purposes. It's what kicked this interest off. Be interesting to see what else they have.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Princes Street Lancers - Lothian and Berwickshire Yeomanry 9 years 11 months ago #19533

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Hello Paul,
Your average Boer had no answer to cold steel, it would normally compel him to seek an urgent appointment elsewhere, this was certainly true from the very begining of the war to it's end.
Stories that last in families over generations are sometimes like Chinese whispers, I don't think it matters either way here though.
Take care of that Albert, it's a nice thing!
Kind regards Frank

Paul76 wrote: Frank,
Family lore has it he was shot first so not likely to contest being bayoneted in the guts. He was supposed to not have eaten for some days and by some stroke of luck his intestines never got punctured. I could imagine it being some discarded bayonet being used maybe even his own. Just as well as otherwise I would not be reading some of the fascinating accounts in the books section. This really is a great site. I saw mention of the no.9 pill and John Stein had to take "horse pills" his whole life after the conflict.

Will being going to some museum with my father on Monday where this helmet and plume is to be loaned out for display purposes. It's what kicked this interest off. Be interesting to see what else they have.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.309 seconds