Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Hello from Lower-Canada. 10 years 6 days ago #19466

• Spaniard
  • Spaniard's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 3
Good day, owing too discrepancies in numbers while digging, providing an overview of Canada’s contribution to the South African War or Second Boer War, ect., I found your site online. The study paper I assembled, there’s variations in Canadian numbers depending on source, and have some questions, I’ll post on few threads. SVP, I use first hand sources when possible, I assembled documents, Press of the day, sessional papers of the Dominion of Canada, ect. Unfortunately Canadian military history accounts of the olden days, first & second world war are full of contradictions from Scholars ect., and critical what’s written in books, memoirs or press of the day. I’m trying to insure if possible that all my apples, pears, Tomatoes, are in separate baskets before I make a fruit salad.

Any bread crumbs will be appreciated.

Cheers.
History is not like playing horseshoes where close enough counts; those that have done the proper leg work have a responsibility to insure a detailed accurate account. Canada at War Blog: wp.me/55eja

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Hello from Lower-Canada. 10 years 6 days ago #19475

• djb
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4530
Welcome to the site Spaniard!

Coincidentally, I have added the names of some 4,000 Canadians to the site today so you should have some more information to use. I also created a page for the 10th Canadian Field Hospital which has a list of men but no other information so far.

We look forward to your contributions.

Best wishes
David
Dr David Biggins

Hello from Lower-Canada. 10 years 6 days ago #19478

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1881
Good Morning Spaniard.....

Welcome to the forum from Western Canada.....

The numbers that served are all over the place as there were a large number who served in South African Constabulary and Canadian Scouts along with other British and South African Units.....

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

Hello from Lower-Canada. 10 years 5 days ago #19481

• Spaniard

djb wrote: Welcome to the site Spaniard!

Coincidentally, I have added the names of some 4,000 Canadians to the site today so you should have some more information to use. I also created a page for the 10th Canadian Field Hospital which has a list of men but no other information so far.

We look forward to your contributions.

Best wishes
David

Hello Mr. David I have the names of 5th Royal Scots Canada in SBW and 2nd RCRI Ranks list for first contingent published by the Government and press prior to the last supper in Quebec before embarkation. CDN 10th Field Hospital has deferent numbers depending on source, I’ll check with CWM., for 10th field and provide other sources numbers in comparison.
Can U kindly provide the link for 10th Field posted and I’ll fill in the blanks with sources not an issue.

CWM on 10th Field; The third Canadian contingent was the only one to take a field hospital with it to South Africa. The 10th Canadian Field Hospital provided outstanding medical services during its stint in South Africa.The third Canadian contingent was the only one to take a field hospital with it to South Africa. The 10th Canadian Field Hospital (10 CFH), which departed Canada in January 1902, was quite small, numbering only 61 all ranks and 29 horses. It was organized into a hospital staff of five officers, a ward section of 35 other ranks, and a transport section of 21 other ranks to pick up and transport the wounded. The hospital was based on British practice with Canadian innovations, including improved tenting, ambulances, water trailers, and an acetylene gas lighting system. Many among the members of 10 CFH were veterans of previous tours in South Africa.

In South Africa a section of the unit accompanied the 2nd Regiment, Canadian Mounted Rifles into the western Transvaal. The remainder moved to Vaalbank, 60 kilometres away on the Lichtenberg blockhouse line. Here it received sick and wounded from the columns operating in the area. This section of 10 CFH remained at Vaalbank until 18 June 1902 during which time it treated over a thousand patients, British, Boer and Black South African. 10 CFH ambulances evacuated patients for longer-term care to Klerksdorp. By all accounts, the 10th Canadian Field Hospital provided outstanding medical services during its stint in South Africa.
Source Canadian War Canadian War Museum.

Field hospital at Paardeberg Drift.

If U look closely, could it be some members of the Black Watch?
History is not like playing horseshoes where close enough counts; those that have done the proper leg work have a responsibility to insure a detailed accurate account. Canada at War Blog: wp.me/55eja

Hello from Lower-Canada. 10 years 5 days ago #19482

• Spaniard

QSAMIKE wrote: Good Morning Spaniard.....

Welcome to the forum from Western Canada.....

The numbers that served are all over the place as there were a large number who served in South African Constabulary and Canadian Scouts along with other British and South African Units.....

Mike

Hi thanks, I’m aware of the numbers of scouts and police force during and after the war ended. Circa 310 stayed behind joining other British units and police force which signed contracts for 3 more years post war (3 years for Police Force). Not counting adding into the mix the circa 1000 for service in Canada temporarily replacing the British garrisons, ect., ect. I’ll paint a more clear picture on some threads I’ll post.

Canadian Scouts,aka Howard's Scouts (Record Group 9, II-A-2, volume 340, file 20142).
No service files have been located for those who served with scout units.

In the book of remembrance the Nile expedition casualties are also added as part of the SAW by Scholars ect.

I’m aware like first and second world war casualty numbers as a whole are estimates at times.

Cheers

A bunch of Montrealers: personnel of C Company,
South African Constabulary. 2 May 1902
Location Drietfontein, Transvaal.

Hello from Lower-Canada. 10 years 5 days ago #19483

• Duffy
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi Spaniard. my father was one of the men in the 10th Canadian Field Hospital.I have all his papers.plus his service in 1st Bra-bants Horse.Where are you in Canada.Bruce Barrett

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.419 seconds