Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Hello from Lower-Canada. 9 years 10 months ago #19743

• Spaniard
  • Spaniard's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 3

Duffy wrote: Hi Spaniard. my father was one of the men in the 10th Canadian Field Hospital.I have all his papers.plus his service in 1st Bra-bants Horse.Where are you in Canada.Bruce Barrett

Hi I extracted this from; Painting the Map Red: Canada and the South African War, 1899-1902
By Carman Miller.

Page 454.

The 10th Canadian Field Hospital came equipped with sixteen Hurbert hospital tents, twelve coverable transport-ambulance wagons, water cats, hospital equipment and supplies, some of Canadian design or adaptation. Under the Command of Lieut.-Col. A.N. Worthington, a South African veteran with the RCFA, the hospital unit contained sixty four men all ranks, including two doctors, one dentist, nine medical students, two chemists, twenty-two orderlies, and fourteen drivers. The unit possessed seven officers. CO. Worthinghton, Sec-in-Com., Maj. G.C. Jones, Capt. H.D. Johnson, the Adjutant. Lieutenants; L. Drum, H.A Roberts, Philip Weatherbe and H.E. Tremayne. The staff consisted of a Quartermaster, paymaster sergeant and a hospital cook. As a temporary unit of the British army its officers received Royal Army Medical Corps pay rats the NCO’s and men received Imperial Yeomanary rates. The units was entirely recruited in eastern and central Canada, with at least 76% Canadian borne.

The Canadian Field Hospital concentrated at Halifax on January 11th 1902, where it was clothed, equipped, and trained while awaiting embarkation aboard the Victorian sixteen days later. Upon arrival in Durban the 10th Canadian Field Hospital was sent to Newcastle, with Evan’s wing of the 2nd C.M.R. and remained there in quarantine at Fort McCready for two weeks. It also accompanied the 2nd C.M.R. to Klerksdorp, the initial trek to the rail line at Volksrust

I have original accounts from the Sessional Paper, on the formation ect., however time is limited in my case, when possible I’ll check and post.

Cheers
History is not like playing horseshoes where close enough counts; those that have done the proper leg work have a responsibility to insure a detailed accurate account. Canada at War Blog: wp.me/55eja

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Hello from Lower-Canada. 9 years 10 months ago #19744

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1873
Hello and Good Morning Spaniard.....

You stated:

"Canadian Scouts,aka Howard's Scouts (Record Group 9, II-A-2, volume 340, file 20142).
No service files have been located for those who served with scout units."

From the Regimental History of the Canadian Scouts, "Knowing No Fear", the author states:

"The National Archives at Kew in Britain holds some records for the Canadian Scouts, including Medal Roll, Nominal Roll and some Enrolment Forms. These records though incomplete, provide considerable information. For personal experiences, the best source was letters, found in family records or local newspapers. The quality of the records varied considerably and many contained inaccuracies which have been resolved where possible. It appears that only two former members, Sergeant Jack Randell and Trooper Frederick Raper, wrote autobiographies. Jack Randell's work is flawed by his tendency to exaggerate and Raper's book is unfortunately lacking in detail. This is balanced by some extent, by other documentation (Note: There is a very extensive bibliography), such as clear and concise notes left by Sergeant William Babty and the letters of Sergeant Singleton Muncy and Lieutenant Robert Ryan. More recently, Neil Speed in Australia wrote a biography of Charles Ross, "Born to Fight", including his service in the Canadian Scouts.....

By the same author as above is a book called "No Colours No Drums the History of the Canadians in the South African Constabulary" where he went through and copied all the Canadian SAC documents in Pretoria.....

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

Hello from Lower-Canada. 9 years 10 months ago #19745

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Surviving papers for the Canadian Scouts are in WO126/16-17 at Kew.

QSAMIKE wrote: Hello and Good Morning Spaniard.....

You stated:

"Canadian Scouts,aka Howard's Scouts (Record Group 9, II-A-2, volume 340, file 20142).

From the Regimental History of the Canadian Scouts, "Knowing No Fear", the author states:

"The National Archives at Kew in Britain holds some records for the Canadian Scouts, including Medal Roll, Nominal Roll and some Enrolment Forms. These records though incomplete, provide considerable information. For personal experiences, the best source was letters, found in family records or local newspapers. The quality of the records varied considerably and many contained inaccuracies which have been resolved where possible. It appears that only two former members, Sergeant Jack Randell and Trooper Frederick Raper, wrote autobiographies. Jack Randell's work is flawed by his tendency to exaggerate and Raper's book is unfortunately lacking in detail. This is balanced by some extent, by other documentation (Note: There is a very extensive bibliography), such as clear and concise notes left by Sergeant William Babty and the letters of Sergeant Singleton Muncy and Lieutenant Robert Ryan. More recently, Neil Speed in Australia wrote a biography of Charles Ross, "Born to Fight", including his service in the Canadian Scouts.....

By the same author as above is a book called "No Colours No Drums the History of the Canadians in the South African Constabulary" where he went through and copied all the Canadian SAC documents in Pretoria.....

Mike

Hello from Lower-Canada. 9 years 10 months ago #19751

• Spaniard
  • Spaniard's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 3

QSAMIKE wrote: Hello and Good Morning Spaniard.....

You stated:

Hi, the quotation is the position of LAC, DHH, ect., I came across the file number ect., while digging in, Library Archives Canada, they unfortunately have, nada.

Thanks to both on the, Canadian scouts' surviving papers.

cheers.
History is not like playing horseshoes where close enough counts; those that have done the proper leg work have a responsibility to insure a detailed accurate account. Canada at War Blog: wp.me/55eja

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.805 seconds