• Page:

TOPIC:

J. P. McGowan 10 years 3 weeks ago #19349

• mcgowan
  • mcgowan's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
I have a QSA and KSA, purchased 20 some years ago in Minneapolis at a garage sale. J. P. Mcgowan was an Australian who fought with the Montmorency Scouts, as told in his Biography. "J.P. McGowan: Hollywood Pioneer". He become a famous Hollywood director/ actor in both silent and sound pictures and the head of the Movie Director's Guild. You can read about J P's Boer War activities at this page: tinyurl.com/q6ubgt6 [/url]. His story is also told in the documentary "Stunt Love" (2011). I also have a QSA that belongs to J.P.'s brother Allen J. McGowan. that was in the same group.
The Biography tells how the medals made their way to Minnesota. He had become close with relatives in Minnesota around 1912, especially his cousin Leone, 20 years his junior, as described in the McGowan Biography: “The significance of their relationship is reflected in the fact that when Jack’s second wife, Kaye, passed away, ten years after Jack’s death, Kaye left instructions that Jack’s much prized Boer War medals were to be bequeathed to Leone.” [/img] .
My question is, do the J.P. medals seem to be renamed? I look up J. P. in the Montmorency Scouts unit and did not find him. the service number on the imprint is No.12. His brother's medal imprint and record all check out as legitimate. One expert thought that J.P. probably lost his medals and had two others renamed. I would appreciate any insight as to why I can't find his name on any QSA, KSA rolls.

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

J. P. McGowan 10 years 3 weeks ago #19351

• SWB
  • Thank you received: 453
Hello

Interesting story.

JP's medals are re-named, AJ's look fine.

Regards
Meurig
Researcher & Collector
The Register of the Anglo-Boer Wars 1899-1902
theangloboerwars.blogspot.co.uk/
www.facebook.com/boerwarregister

J. P. McGowan 10 years 3 weeks ago #19352

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4541
McGowan,

That is a fascinating story behind the medal.

You are correct that the medals to JP McGowan has been renamed. This could be because he lost his originals. However, I am having trouble finding him on the medal rolls. I have searched the index and also all the pages of the Montmorency's QSA roll (WO100/259) without success. Neither man is listed on the nominal roll for Montmorency's Scouts .

The medal to A J McGowan does appear genuine. Can you tell me the unit name on the rim please? There is a man of this name in the NSW Bushman's Contingent.

With thanks
David
Dr David Biggins
The following user(s) said Thank You: mcgowan

J. P. McGowan 10 years 3 weeks ago #19353

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 740
The account of J P's activities indicates that he served in the Natal campaign at a time when Montmorency's Scouts were busy in the Cape Colony. If he was indeed involved in both the Relief of Ladysmith and the subsequent Relief of Mafeking, service with the Imperial Light Horse is a possibility. However, the ILH was not present at Laing's Nek and Belfast. A check of the ILH nominal roll is needed.

The fact that J P's medals are renamed, and that there are improbabilities in the account of his war service, suggests that there may be deceit involved.

Regards
Brett

J. P. McGowan 10 years 3 weeks ago #19354

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4541
There is a database of Australians in the Boer War which lists John Paterson McGowan as serving in Montmorency's Scouts but also confirms that he is not listed on the roll. Source: members.pcug.org.au/~croe/ozb/oz_boer_more.cgi?record=13849
Dr David Biggins

J. P. McGowan 10 years 3 weeks ago #19357

• mcgowan
  • mcgowan's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Thanks for the reply. Allen J McGowan served with the NSW Army Medical Corps.

Tim

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 1.013 seconds