Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Updating a biography: David Lockhart MAXWELL, ILH. 7 years 9 months ago #47189

• LinneyI
  • LinneyI's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1527
Forum members
I suppose I should have titled this post as "A silver 1902 Coronation medal at last!" . However, probably better to keep the post where it is.
After acquiring the David Lockhart Maxwell DSO group, I noted in David's "Elandslaagte Account and Medal Roll", that when the group proceeded through a certain auction house in 7/83, it featured a 1902 Coronation medal. I really cannot understand why anyone would take such a medal from a group. However, it was missing when the group came into my temporary custody.
It took a while to finally run down a silver 1902 Coronation (thankfully they were issued unnamed) and after a few false starts, one arrived here the other week.

Regards
IL.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Updating a biography: David Lockhart MAXWELL, ILH. 9 months 2 weeks ago #90237

• Sacha Maxwell
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 4
It has taken a while but here are the miniatures I have, rescued from a box that was going to be thrown out in a house move. Looks like a few missing compared to the full medal group, but also one is different and inscribed on the back - see pics 26th June 1902
I am not sure why there is a single medal on its own.

Family history has got muddled so to find these and the information on here has been great, now to fill in the blanks on WW1
Attachments:

Updating a biography: David Lockhart MAXWELL, ILH. 9 months 2 weeks ago #90238

• Sacha Maxwell
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
From what I have discovered my grandmother just sold off things and then when she died in Jan 83 quite suddenly the family had little interest as far as I can gather. Given where I found the miniatures, I am surprised any survived at all.

Updating a biography: David Lockhart MAXWELL, ILH. 9 months 2 weeks ago #90240

• LinneyI
  • LinneyI's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1527
Sacha
Thanks for showing us those miniatures associated with Lt. Col. D.L. Maxwell, DSO. Your first pic shows a miniature Distinguished Service Order; the second pic shows his miniature group as it existed re ww1 (DSO/1902 Coronation/QSA/KSA; the third shows the reverse of the group and the fourth shows the reverse of the miniature 1902 Coronation medal.
It is really pleasing to hear that the miniatures were saved from being thrown out.
Lt. Col. Maxwell certainly served in WW1; please see attached a cut from the book "The Distinguished Service Order". It would always be possible to add the WW1 trio as miniatures and possibly a miniature 1902 Coronation medal might be rather harder to get.

Regards
IL.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sacha Maxwell

Updating a biography: David Lockhart MAXWELL, ILH. 9 months 1 week ago #90267

• Sacha Maxwell
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Thank you - lovely to see that. Know that this is an ABW forum but if you have anything with the medal group from WW1 I would love to see it.

Updating a biography: David Lockhart MAXWELL, ILH. 2 weeks 4 days ago #94514

• Neville_C
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 1905

LinneyI wrote: Lord Kitchener's despatch of 28071901 records under IMPERIAL LIGHT HORSE: "Lt.D.L.Maxwell; on Dec.31, at Hartbeestefontein, though wounded, remained with his patrol until he fainted from loss of blood".

This is the walking cane that Lt Maxwell was carrying when he was struck by two Mauser bullets, one of which caused the severe wound referred to in IL's original post. The writing on the label is difficult to read, but states: “D.L. Maxwell’s Stick / splintered by a Mauser / bullet (S. African War, 1900) / which also wounded him. / Another bullet scored the stick / ½ way along its length”.

The cane was clearly fashioned in the field, a piece of discarded bully beef tin being used to cap the handle.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: LinneyI, EFV, Moranthorse1, Sturgy

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.726 seconds