Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

BOER WAR MEMORIALS OF WORCESTERSHIRE 3 years 4 months ago #73651

• Moranthorse1
  • Moranthorse1's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 776

(image reproduced for research purposes only)

ST. JOHN'S CHURCH, KIDDERMINSTER ROAD, BROMSGROVE, WORCESTERSHIRE.

'V. R. E. R. SWEET IT IS AND BECOMING TO DIE FOR ONE'S CONTRY'
Below this in main panel.
'TO THE GLORY OF GOD AND IN MEMORY OF
TWELVE INHABITANTS OF THE PARISH
OF BROMSGROVE WHO LAID DOWN THEIR
LIVES FOR QUEEN AND COUNTRY IN THE
SOUTH AFRICAN WAR A. D. 1899-1902'
Below this the names of the men commemorated. The text in lower case are not on the panel, but are my own words where I have been able to find out about the individual with a little research.
SERGT. MAJOR FISHER-possibly 553 ARMSGT W. Fisher of 6th Dragoons who died of disease at Springfontein on 15/05/1900.
SERGT.G.H.HOUSMAN-6365-KRRC-Killed in action at Bakenlaagte on 30/10/1901. Interred at Germiston Primrose.
SERGT. G. ADAMS-40403-Royal Garrison Artillery 15SD-Died of disease at Pretoria on 11/01/1901. Interred Pretoria.
PTE. OSBERT WHEELER-4383-2nd.Worcesters-died of wounds received at Slingersfontein on 12/02/1900. Interred at Springfontein.
PTE. A. LAMMAS-2851-2nd Worcesters - killed in action at Slingersfontein 12/02/1900. Interred at Colesberg Military Cemetery and commemorated on the monument at Worcester Hill.
PTE. A. KETTLE - 5422-2nd Worcesters-killed in action at Dewetsdorp on 20/04/1900. Interred Dewetsdorp District Cemetery.
PTE. J. EDWARDS- 5 casualties listed in In Memoriam with same initial to surname.
PTE. C. G. WHEELER-7743-KRRC-died of enteric fever at Ladysmith on 03/03/1900. Interred Ladysmith, Intombi.
PTE. V. J. MASKELL-no trace found in In Memoriam.
PTE. G. WHEELER-1501-1st Worcesters-died of disease at Thaba Nchu on 03/04/1901. Interred Thaba Nchu.
PTE. F. HARRISON-no clear choice of individuals in casualty lists.
PTE. A. STOKES-potentially one of two men both served in 2nd Worcesters. A. G. STOKES died of disease 24/04/1902 at Heilbronn and A. J. STOKES who died of enteric fever at Jagersfontein on 10/04/1900.

Easy parking for visitors on main Kidderminster Road. Limited parking at church car park.

Steve
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

BOER WAR MEMORIALS OF WORCESTERSHIRE 3 years 4 months ago #73652

• Moranthorse1

KIDDERMINSTER CEMETERY, KIDDERMINSTER, WORCESTERSHIRE.

LOCATION: OS GRID REF: SO827761. A large cemetery. Memorial alongside main lower path at
bottom of the cemetery.
The memorial has recently been renovated and is quite distinct.

Inscription as follows%

'IN MEMORIAM

FREDERICK HALL, aged 19.
RALPH DOUGLAS JONES, aged 21.
WALTER JAMES MAUNDER, aged 19.

WORCESTERSHIRE IMPERIAL YEOMANRY

WHO FELL FIGHTING FOR
KING AND COUNTRY
IN THE BATTLE OF
KLEINFONTEIN. S. AFRICA
OCTOBER 24.1901

Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori

ERECTED BY A FEW FRIENDS '

Some further notes on the men commemorated as follows:

25738 Pte. Frederick Hall, 8th Worcestershire Imperial Yeomanry killed in action at Kleinfontein, South Africa October 1901,aged 19. Son of Henry and Ann, née Knight of Kidderminster and brother of Henry (known as Harry) and Sidney who both fell in the Great War.
He is commemorated on a family memorial in St. George's Churchyard, Kidderminster.
'In Memoriam' does not show any further information on the whereabouts of his interment nor his name on any other monument.

25741 Pte. Ralph Douglas Jones, 5th WORCS. I. Y. was interred at Zeerust Cemetery and commemorated on monument 8.

The regimental number for Pte. Walter James Maunder is not known. He also served in the 5th WORCS. I. Y. and interred at Zeerust commemorated on monument 8.

Awful tragedies for parents Henry and Ann Hall to lose three sons in the service of their country.

Steve
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb, Dave F

BOER WAR MEMORIALS OF WORCESTERSHIRE 3 years 4 months ago #73689

• dunnboer
  • Thank you received: 363
These may be of interest. I took these photographs of two memorial boards to the1st Volunteer Battalion Worcestershire Regiment following their removal to the TA Drill Hall in Kidderminster over 20 years ago. My apologies for the poor photos but the boards were in a badly lit stairwell.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb, QSAMIKE, Moranthorse1

BOER WAR MEMORIALS OF WORCESTERSHIRE 3 years 4 months ago #73697

• Moranthorse1
Hi Dunn boer,
Many thanks for posting the boards from Kiddy TA. The site was on my list for a visit as it's just 10 minutes from where I live. But Covid has put a hold on things!
Good to see a few Stourbridge men on there.

The reason I started the thread was because I am trying to find out more about 4292 Pte. W. Mason of the 2nd Battalion of the worcesters who was KIA at Slingersfontein (I won the bid fir his QSA at City Coins last month, sorry to other bidders but had to get him back to Worcestershire!).
If I can find him in a memorial I will at least know where he came from. There is only medal rolls available so far.
He is not on Dudley, Birmingham, Bromsgrove or Kidderminster, Wednesbury so far as my search has gone.
So while looking I thought why not post the journey!
Many thanks again.
Steve

BOER WAR MEMORIALS OF WORCESTERSHIRE 3 years 4 months ago #73704

• Dave F
  • Thank you received: 1178
Hello Steve
I assume you have already got this info regarding your man Pte Mason 4292?
www.thebarracks.co.za/worcester-hill.pdf
A good account of the action and his name on the memorial at Pinnacle hill I think.
However, locating his memorial in the UK as you say is harder to find. His service papers would be a good start if available.
Anyway, good luck with the search and congratulations on your purchase. His medal has come home.
kind regards
Dave
You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.
Best regards,
Dave
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moranthorse1

BOER WAR MEMORIALS OF WORCESTERSHIRE 3 years 4 months ago #73705

• Moranthorse1
Hello Dave,
Many thanks for the link. I have downloaded this one recently amongst other accounts. The old boys of the 2nd Battalion were certainly FIRM!
I will be devoting time to finding his service papers and probably have a chat with the regimental museum at Norton Barracks. I will post his history once I have researched.
Cheers,
Steve

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 2.625 seconds