• Page:

TOPIC:

Greetings and questions 7 years 20 hours ago #53064

• RAMBA
  • RAMBA's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Thanks I will follow up and see if I can get a copy of the Gippsland Times piece mentioning him.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Greetings and questions 7 years 20 hours ago #53066

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1536
Ramba
No, sorry. The medal roll under WO100/274 for 1st SALH shows "2134 R.O.Jones" as entitled to clasps Cape Colony and Orange Free State clasps on his QSA and doubtless a SA1901 clasp as well. As djb says, the roll notes he also served with the Military Stock Dept. You might find out more if his enlistment papers are available on one of the commercial sites.
Again, good luck
IL.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RAMBA

Greetings and questions 7 years 20 hours ago #53067

• RAMBA
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
I also have this info below but the T in the name seems wrong but Mrs Cumming was his sister. Seems to indicate he was injured in some way? I have not seen the original newspaper. This is transcribed text of what I assume is the original.

THE Western Australian 24th August 1900,

WITH KITCHENER AT NEW CASTLE.
Surgeon-Major T. W. Caton Jones, of the Royal Army Medical Corps, writing to his sister, Mrs. Cumming from New castle, South Africa, under date July 22, says :--
I am just getting over that Ladysmith business now, and can get along all right without taking medicine, but it has taken four months to do it. I have a very nice commando of my own now. Am in charge of the 7th Brigade, Field Hospital and Bearer Company. It is an Indian hospital, and a perfect unit.
I have under me one officer, R.A.M.C.; two civil surgeons (in place of R.A.M.C. officers); eight assistant surgeons (Indian Apothecaries); one con ductor (Indian army); two civilian con ductors, four sergeants, and eight nursing orderlies (British army from India); 42 Indian Army Hospital native corps, 126 Indian dhoolee-bearers, and 50 Kaffir drivers.
I am equipped for a hundred sick in hospital, and put up double that number at a pinch. I can carry 52 men lying down and 12 sitting in my sick transport, 20 lying in the dhoolies, and 94 sitting in my wheeled ambulances, if I put no lying down cases in the latter; a good deal to be responsible for.
Our brigade, under Brigadier General Kitchener, is at Newcastle, on the lines of communication. Of course, we are very sick at not getting forward, but some one must stay behind. Thank goodness, the grass is burnt round the camp. Veldt fires happen every day. One field hospital was burnt, but luckily no one was injured.

This is a fine country, and very healthy. All colonists say we shall have to be much sterner with the Boers before they will give in. I be lieve sternness would save very many lives both of, theirs and ours. If the Indian hospitals are sent back to India in September, I may go to China.

Greetings and questions 7 years 20 hours ago #53068

• RAMBA
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
The Military Stock Dept makes sense as he was a stock drover and a good horse man from his time in Aus pre war.

Greetings and questions 7 years 18 hours ago #53070

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
I would check the surviving rank and file SALH papers in WO126/130-138 at Kew if I were you, hopefully, his will be extant.

RAMBA wrote: Any idea when Trooper Jones arrived in SA?

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.917 seconds