• Page:

TOPIC:

Greetings and questions 6 years 11 months ago #53058

• RAMBA
  • RAMBA's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello and greetings from Australia. I'm trying to find out information about two individuals that served in the Anglo Boer War. I'm NOT related to them.

Below is an extract from a local newspaper that describes two of the three brothers. Mr Redmond Harry Jones and Fredrick William Catton-Jones.

If anyone has any additional information on these two individuals then I would be grateful.Redmond died in 1955 and Fredrick died in 1944 .Particularly interested in Redmond's time SA.

THE REGISTER
Adelaide, 5th February 1925

Mr. Redmond Jones, eldest son of Mr. and Mrs. Henry Jones, has been farming at Metung, Gippsland, for many years. He left Clifton College. Eng land, at 17, ,and returned to Australia, where lie spent some time gaining stock and station experience. Forty years ago Mr. (now Sir) John Grice commissioned him to take a big lot of horses from Albury to Manfred Downs, his station in Queensland; they were nearly a year on the road, such were the difficulties of travelling stock in a terrible drought year.For four years Mr. Redmond Jones was on the Western Australian goldfields. At the outbreak of the Boer war he went to Durban, and enlisted in the South African Light Horse, commanded by Col. the Hon. Julian Byrjg, now Lord Byng, of Vimy, Governor General of Canada. The Australian served as trooper for three months, and was on the staff with six others as scouts. He was twice wounded in the war. In 1908 he returned to his native land, and bought a farm on the Gippsland Lakes, which he left in 1914, and remained in England doing 'his bit' for his country until 1921.

The second son. Col. Catton Jones, C.B., served with distinction in the Egyptian and Boer Wars, was shot in Ladysmith during the siege, later was P.M.O. with Walter Kitchener, commanding the 24th British Field Hospital in India. In the late war Col. Jones was in the retreat from Mons; he was invalided for a short time, then served as AJDJM.S. at Havre, until again invalided towards the close of hostilities, and on retirement from the active list was rewarded with a C.B. It is recorded of him that during a fight in the Boer war he was attending to the wounded in the shelter of a large rock, and noticing a comrade badly wounded, he' left his shelter and carried him to safety amidst a storm of bullets— valour, indeed, worthy of the Victoria Cross!

Thanks Tom.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Greetings and questions 6 years 11 months ago #53059

• djb
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500
Welcome Ramba,

I can see a Trooper R O Jones on the SALH roll, number 2134 (WO100/274p63). The note says 'Mil stock dept' which may accord with his horsemanship skills? He received the QSA medal.

Major Frederick William Caton [sic] Jones is listed on the medal roll WO100/220p16 as serving with the 24th British Field Hospital in South Africa. He received the QSA and KSA medals. Here is his entry from the 1905 Army List:

Dr David Biggins
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: RAMBA

Greetings and questions 6 years 11 months ago #53060

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1527
Ramba
The casualty list shows "Jones, R.O. 2134, Pte, slightly wounded at Summersfontein on 226/8/1901" when serving with the SALH. This could well be your man as fore initials were sometimes transcribed wrongly.
I cannot find any entry in the casualty lists for Maj. F.W.C Jones.
Regards
IL.

Greetings and questions 6 years 11 months ago #53061

• RAMBA
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
I think the O is for Owen - he must have not used Harry. On his death there is no middle name Owen but has Ivon.

Redmond Harry Owen Jones
Redmond Owen Jones
Redmond Harry Ivon Jones

He seems to have used various middle names on different records.

Record information
Event Death
Event registration number 19895
Registration year 1955
Personal information
Family name JONES
Given names Redmond Harry Ivon
Sex Male
Father's name JONES Henry
Mother's name Frances Eliza (Caton)
Place of birth NARACOORTE SOUTH AUSTRALIA
Place of death BAIRNSDALE
Age 98

Thanks

Greetings and questions 6 years 11 months ago #53062

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1527
Ramba
Me again! On spec I had a look on the OZ-Boer database and saw that, according to the Gippsland Times, a 96 year old BW veteran, Redmond Jones, of the SALH, from Bairnsdale, Victoria was amongst the East Gippsland returned soldiers greeting the Queen in 3/54. He was thought to be the oldest surviving Australian soldier. You need to do a little more research to see if the medal rolls provide any more information.
Good luck
IL.

Greetings and questions 6 years 11 months ago #53063

• RAMBA
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Any idea when Trooper Jones arrived in SA?

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.468 seconds