TOPIC:

my introduction - and Anthony Walter Lister 7 years 2 days ago #52795

• Peter Lister
  • Peter Lister's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Good day to you all,

I will admit straight up that I've joined this forum in the hope I can get some direction in learning more about my great-grandfather and his role in the SA war.

I have only looked briefly over this site, yet it's clear there is a wealth of expertise here. I did not know my g-grandfather as he died 25 years before I was born and none of my family know of his role in S Africa during the family's time there. I have done a little family history research some years ago, yet this is one area where I know little.

I have his QSA medal which is silver with a single uninscribed clasp. There are no dates present on the reverse and the hand of Britannia points to the F in AFRICA. In searching this site I found a reference for his name which matches the inscription on the edge of the medal. The inscription is as follows: GUARD A.W. LISTER CAPE G.R. I know he worked for the railways in Cape Colony - the family moved there from here in New South wales around 1894 and left for New Zealand in December 1905. His last child was born at Beaufort West in 1901, his eldest child married at Worcester in 1905, and he was a member of the Touws River Railway Brass Band. I have a photo of him taken shortly before he died wearing the medal.

The reference I found by searching on this site is for one, Lister, AW, Cape Government Railways, WO100/279. This looks like a National Archives UK reference - if so, is it likely to shed any light on my query ?

Some key questions I'd like to know;
1. he doesn't appear to have a regimental number (I assume they were issued) - does this mean he was a seconded civilian - maybe seconded from the railways as a railways guard ? as opposed to an enlisted man.
2. What sort of period would this medal date to - what period was he acting in this role ?
3. what was expected of him in his role as Guard ?

any advice or assistance would be sincerely appreciated,

Peter Lister
Sydney, Australia.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

my introduction - and Anthony Walter Lister 7 years 2 days ago #52797

• Rory
  • Thank you received: 2121
Hello Peter

Send me your e-mail address and I will forward you the medal roll iro your relative. He was a Guard with the Cape Government Railways stationed at Beaufort West in the Karoo. He might have misplaced his original medal as it was re-issued in 1915.

The annotation next to the medal on the roll reads thus:

"In charge of armoured, troop and stores trains in field of active operations between De Aar and Modder River, De Aar and Norval's Point and De Aar and Stormberg"

Regards

Rory
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb

my introduction - and Anthony Walter Lister 7 years 2 days ago #52800

• Peter Lister
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Dear Rory,

thank you so much for your very generous offer of assistance. This is so enlightening - I assume then it was during this earlier period 1899-1902 then ?? I imagine the record in the file will be dated as such, so maybe I should just wait and see....so excited, will be calling my Dad (he turned 88 just two days ago) and telling him this of his grandfather. I didn't think I'd ever be able to learn anything of his time there.

thanks again, sincerely, Peter.

my introduction - and Anthony Walter Lister 7 years 2 days ago #52802

• SWB
  • Thank you received: 448
Hello Peter

Your GGF's role in the war as a train Guard was just as it was in civilian life, except he worked on trains carrying soldiers and military stores and armoured trains. He would have been responsible for a train's safe running on the railway - but not responsible for its defense in case of attack by the Boers.

He was not enlisted and therefore has no service number.

Regards
Meurig
Researcher & Collector
The Register of the Anglo-Boer Wars 1899-1902
theangloboerwars.blogspot.co.uk/
www.facebook.com/boerwarregister
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb

my introduction - and Anthony Walter Lister 7 years 1 day ago #52814

• Peter Lister
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Thank you again Rory, and also Meurig, for this valuable insight into this facet of my g-grandfather's life. While I long suspected his involvement in this fashion, it's great to have confirmation from sources with such knowledge. Truly appreciated, sincerest thanks, Peter.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.437 seconds