• Page:

TOPIC:

About me. 7 years 1 month ago #52467

• Flowers_inmay
  • Flowers_inmay's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
My name is Susan. I am trying to find out where my Great Grand mother's brother is buried in South Africa. His name was Joseph Robertson he died Harris smith South Africa. He was with the 2nd Batt Scots Guards.I think soldier no 2727 rank private. Any help or information would be appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

About me. 7 years 1 month ago #52468

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
A glance at Watt suggests he was interred at Warden Street Harrismith, with, in addition, his name on the 2nd Battalions own memorial there too.
Interesting fellow, his original papers will still be extant, he had served in South Africa from the 15th of March 1900, before he died of enteric, a great shame, but, sadly this was commonplace.
His name will also be found at Holy Trinity, Windsor, on his regiments particular memorial panel.

About me. 7 years 1 month ago #52472

• Flowers_inmay
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Thank you so much for your interest and help. I have a picture of the memorial . And as you say a sad end.. Would he be in the military grave yard do you think . oops what does extant mean please.

About me. 7 years 1 month ago #52474

• Frank Kelley
It means if you ask the Scots Guards RHQ very nicely they will send a copy to you!

Flowers_inmay wrote: Thank you so much for your interest and help. I have a picture of the memorial . And as you say a sad end.. Would he be in the military grave yard do you think . oops what does extant mean please.

About me. 7 years 1 month ago #52475

• Flowers_inmay
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Thanks again. Just for your interest it's the Holy Trinity Garrison Church Windsor I googled it. It's gorgeous inside. Going to try and visit this weekend. You guys are amazing.

About me. 7 years 1 month ago #52476

• Frank Kelley
Harrismith was a bloody silly place to loose your life, so he's an awful long way from home, certainly not on his own either, but, you will find his name at Windsor and it would certainly by worth you contacting the archivist at their RHQ at Wellington Barracks.
I wish you good luck anyway.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.595 seconds