TOPIC:

Recently been given two letters from a soldier 7 years 4 months ago #50992

• eggnog
  • eggnog's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 1
Hello All.

In common with (I suspect) many others, I'm quite comfortable researching WW1 but am only just getting into the Boer Wars.

I was recently given sight of two letters written in the field to family in England and asked by descendants to see what can be found. The writer was Private 8366 Pointing A J., 2/ Volunteer Company, 2/ Middlesex. I am aware that he figures in this Forum's Nominal Roll and now know a good deal about his life but am struggling with two things:

Firstly the issue of the Volunteer Companies and specifically those of the Middlesex. Of course there must be literature but I have not so far found it and would appreciate guidance.

Secondly, the location from which the letters were written which he gives simply as 'The Bluff, Eastern Transvaal'.

I have appended below the relevant parts of both letters using, in the interests of historical accuracy, Pointing's spellings and almost total absence of punctuation. I found his 'robust views' of the Boers most illuminating. Should this first post be too long perhaps I might be advised into which sections of the Forum my enquiries might best be divided.

Letter 1:
"Eastern Transvaal
The Bluff
South Africa

Sunday
15th Sptem

My Dear Sister Edith

........... I am glad to say that I am in the best of spirits and all of the Barnet (?) Boys only got the hump of it. I can tell you we have got another schiff as you will see we are ??? (deleted) in a Blockhouse now further up in the clouds than ever we have got 3 15 pounder gun and two maxims we have come here to strengthen it this position guard(ing) the hole of the mountains around here last night (Saturday) we had to stand to arms all night because the Boars are all around here there are more Boars round here than any part of South Africa there is a large commando only two miles off here Botha and Ben Viljoon forces we can see them every day sniping at some of our troops I don't know what they keep hanging around here for they have been all around here for the last fortnight they have been trying to cut off our supply but have not succeeded yet I should think they are going to surrender because tomorrow is the last day of their Proclamation I hope they do thats all because we can't go out and attack them they are two strong.........."

Letter 2:
(Undated)

"Dear Alf

(Across top margin – we will get our own back I bet if it takes years to wait )

......... we have just taken a convoy to Blood River Poort (were the Boars captured Major Gough) to Burce Hamilton we met with a little bit of sniping (added -from 2 or 3 old women-) but they never hit anybody I am glad to say we were out 4 days on the usual Bully Beef and dogs cakes but the worst of it was it was a raining all the time so we had a wet blanket to sleep in they only allow one blanket on these jobs there is another column a coming up to go out this way so I do not know if we have to go out or not I hope so but if we have got to go we will go with a good heart we are not afraid to stop a bullet we mean to have our own back along with them if we have got to stop out here for another 2 years for them a taking them guns at Dejars Drift and infantry from Major Gough we was called out but they had gone when we got there it is 2 days march from here and we had to go out with nothing so we have got to have our own back if there one comes when I am on sentry I will shoot him stone dead without a challenge and the next farm we get into we will set about the lot of them women and all they are just as bad and the house will burn to the ground chance what the officer says "

My thanks in advance to anyone taking the time to read this.
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Recently been given two letters from a soldier 7 years 4 months ago #50993

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 740
eggnog
There are others on this forum who will be able to answer your questions, but I must thank you for posting two most interesting letters. The views of "other ranks" are posted relatively rarely, but I find them an informative and entertaining change from more sober accounts of the war.
Regards
Brett

Recently been given two letters from a soldier 7 years 4 months ago #51005

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4557
Eggnog,

There is a good introduction to the Volunteer Service companies here: www.victorianmilitarysociety.org.uk/rese...er-service-companies

The Bluff is not so easy to identify. Stirling says 'During the second phase of the campaign the battalion was mainly employed in the south - east of the Transvaal, and in the Newcastle district'.

There are few books written about the Die-Hards which may help:

Hennell, R. Out County Regiment. Published in 1915 and covering the period 1755 to 1915. 40 pps.

Woollwright, H H. Records of the 77th, Duke of Cambridge's Own. 191pps. 1907.

Leithbridge Kingford, C. The Story of the Duke of Cambridge's Own. 244pps. 1916.

Best wishes
David
Dr David Biggins

Recently been given two letters from a soldier 7 years 4 months ago #51020

• DavidW
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 4
Eggnog.

15th September ? If only the year was known. Blood River Poort , Major Gough's capture and Dejars Drift are clues. Strongly suggests activity around Northern Natal and into the Mountainous Eastern Transvaal where Generals Viljoen and Botha were active. To nail it down to dates should lead to clarifying where Private Pointing was at the time. The Bluff is a well known reference to the harbour area of Durban ? where Troopships landed British Forces destined for the given area of operations. Further enquiry show that Major Gough was in fact captured at DeJagers Drift during the battle of Blood River Poort on 17th September,1901, in Natal and near Dundee from whence he was advancing.. (Duke of Cambridge's Own (Middlesex Regiment) 2nd Battalion AVONDALE 2 December 1899 25 December 1899 Cape then Durban = Detail of their dispatch and arrival in South Africa on the troopship 'AVONDALE'. )

Recently been given two letters from a soldier 7 years 4 months ago #51044

• eggnog
  • eggnog's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 1
Rats! I replied to these most helpful posts and my adblocker junked the entire message.

Thank you djb. I have found digital versions of both Woolwright and Leithbridge Kingford (with a reference to Hennell) and am in the process of working through them.

@DavidW I have taken it that the undated letter was written in September/October 1901 shortly after the events of the 17th September which led to Hubert Gough's 'adventures'. (An illuminating insight into an officer of whose pre-War career I knew nothing save the Curragh business of March 1914.) Wherever 'The Bluff' is or was, just going by the letter it must have been two days (presumably forced) march from the site of the incident. However I have no knowledge of the likely pace of infantry at the time particularly when affected by terrain and difficult weather conditions. Would a radius of 50 miles be unreasonable?

Mods. Would this question be better placed elsewhere in the Forum rather than clogging up 'Introductions'? I'm only a very new boy after all!

I have letters from this time 7 years 4 months ago #51289

• Ch3rry
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello there I have letters from my great great grandad he was middlesex regiment 2nd battalion they are dated 00 if you would like to read them over to see if they can fill any blanks, he also mentioned an Alf but that was his brother.
Thanks
Eloise

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.629 seconds