Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Leicester Boer War Memorial 7 years 7 months ago #49015

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1884

SWB wrote: Entirely possible they died in England only under orders for SA - therefore would not be on a medal roll. I have seen a few on memorials like this - next stop local newspapers.

Good Morning Meurig

Know it is not BW but I have a WW1 Memorial Plaque to a relation that died of disease only 5 weeks after enlisting and he is on the local village memorial.....

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Leicester Boer War Memorial 7 years 7 months ago #49018

• SWB
  • Thank you received: 455

QSAMIKE wrote:

SWB wrote: Entirely possible they died in England only under orders for SA - therefore would not be on a medal roll. I have seen a few on memorials like this - next stop local newspapers.

Good Morning Meurig

Know it is not BW but I have a WW1 Memorial Plaque to a relation that died of disease only 5 weeks after enlisting and he is on the local village memorial.....

Mike

Hello Mike,

Interesting, just like these guys perhaps. Did he get a CWGC headstone? War memorials are so difficult to research because of cases like this. On the WWII memorial in the next door town is name of a member of the Royal Observer Corps - no one has any idea who he is and why he is on the memorial. No connection to the town, nothing on CWGC and nothing from the ROC.

Regards
Meurig
Researcher & Collector
The Register of the Anglo-Boer Wars 1899-1902
theangloboerwars.blogspot.co.uk/
www.facebook.com/boerwarregister

Leicester Boer War Memorial 7 years 7 months ago #49019

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1884

SWB wrote:

QSAMIKE wrote:

Good Morning Meurig

Mike

Hello Mike,

Interesting, just like these guys perhaps. Did he get a CWGC headstone? War memorials are so difficult to research because of cases like this. On the WWII memorial in the next door town is name of a member of the Royal Observer Corps - no one has any idea who he is and why he is on the memorial. No connection to the town, nothing on CWGC and nothing from the ROC.

Regards
Meurig

Hi Meurig.......

No he was buried in the family plot in Wales...... The following interesting picture is from the memorial in Port Stewart Northern Ireland........

Mike

Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591
Attachments:

Leicester Boer War Memorial 7 years 7 months ago #49085

• BereniceUK
  • Thank you received: 2307
A reservist from Blackpool died in Aldershot, prior to sailing for South Africa, from pneumonia as a result of both training and conditions in camp. Not even mentioned on Blackpool's ABW roll of honour.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.467 seconds