• Page:

TOPIC:

1433 William Talbot, 1st Imperial Horse 7 years 7 months ago #48412

• Robbie59
  • Robbie59's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 1
Thanks for the info, however, WO100/238 suggests his medal was returned to the mint, would this have been the medal given to WR Talbot?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1433 William Talbot, 1st Imperial Horse 7 years 7 months ago #48418

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Whilst WO100/238 does show a different second initial, it also gives his number and regiment as 1433 ILH as additional service, therefore, it does suggest that this is a single man as opposed to two differing ones, also it would certainly be a coincidence with the Rhodesia connection, moreover, not only does WO100/250 suggest service in the BSAP, it actually states his BSAP number too, as well as the fact the BSAP had already actually made an application for his medal themselves, it is likely to be correct, do you believe it is not?
I am a little confused though, my I ask how you know Talbot did not service in the BSAP, the war began almost one hundred and seventeen years ago?

1433 William Talbot, 1st Imperial Horse 7 years 7 months ago #48421

• Frank Kelley
I think it might be prudent to start again from the beginning given your last past, can I ask how do you know that your grandfather served in the Imperial Light Horse if your family did not keep any records?
In other words, other than simply, an identical name, what is the particular ILH connection?
With particular regard to his medal, as already mentioned, Talbot's medal appears to have been returned and there is nothing else to suggest it had actually been issued.

Robbie59 wrote: Hi, I was wondering where I can get any information on my Grandfatherf William Henry Talbot. I have a computer copy of the "Roll of individuals who were entiltled to the Queens medal" and I found his name in the nominal roll on this site. I am trying to get some info on him as he died in 1918 and the family never kept any records. I was also wondering if the medal he was entitled to was ever issued to him as again the family can't recall ever seeing one.
Many thanks
Rob

1433 William Talbot, 1st Imperial Horse 7 years 7 months ago #48426

• Robbie59
  • Robbie59's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 1
Ok I don't have any records but I do have handed down stories. My Grandfather was born in Australia in 1878, the story goes he was in the navy at the time of the Boerwar, (the navy in those days was not the Australian Navy rather a state navy, each state had their own navy) anyway he resigned and joined the ILH in South Africa. He never came over with an Australian Contingent. He was in the 2nd Boerwar and in 1902 when they demobbed he moved up to Bulawayo Rhodesia. He married Florence Marion Bain in 1904, my Aunt was born in 1905, my Dad in 1907. I far as I am aware he spent his time going from one gold mine to another u til he passed away in 1918. This was told to me by my father ( he was 11 when his father died)

I have been doing further research and I found another William Talbot with the number 1443. This is the reason I am on this site, to try and find out more on William Henry Talbot. There are no Australian records

1433 William Talbot, 1st Imperial Horse 7 years 7 months ago #48427

• Frank Kelley
Okay then, had you been told that he had served in the Imperial Light Horse?
If yes, then, I would say that you may well have found your man, however, if no and you are assuming it must be him simply because of the same name, then you will certainly need to do a great deal more research, many men did join the SAMIF by coming out from their homes in Australia.
There are records in Australia and these are held by their own government in Canberra at the Australian War Memorial, but, these do not include members of the SAMIF unless they had prior service.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Robbie59

1433 William Talbot, 1st Imperial Horse 7 years 7 months ago #48428

• Frank Kelley
I feel I have done all I can with this matter, so, to sum up, if you have been told that he did serve in the ILH, then the chances are you have actually found your man, by your own admission, there appears to be a Rhodesian connection, William Talbot had two numbers in the ILH, both 1433 and 1443 as clearly shown in WO127, he appears twice on that regiments medal roll for service with both the 1st and 2nd Imperial Light Horse, in WO100/250, he also appears to have served in the BSAP and is very clearly shown on their rolls, twice, in WO100/238 with the number and rank of 1561 Trooper and as stated, these are fully linked and cross referenced, moreover, they do appear to be in order, also, as stated, his medal appears to have been returned in 1908.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.415 seconds