Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Introduction GEORGEGT351 7 years 8 months ago #47985

• Georgegt351
  • Georgegt351's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 31
Hi,
I have been a member of the British Medals Forum for about 5 years but have only really got into my stride in the last year when it occurred to me how much knowledge I could tap into. I have been interested in and collected medals since about 1972 when I was in the RAAF first as an apprentice later an airman and eventually as a Squadron Leader. I have published three books- namely South Australians and the South African war which was about 30 pages listing as many South Australians as I could find and cross-referred to 1st AIF service where possible. In 1987 I wrote Mentioned in Despatches Australians WW1 over 5600 entries completed by trawling through about 6 years of Commonwealth Gazettes and written on index cards-pre computer days. Then I wrote The Australian Commonwealth Horse in 1989. I have had in my time a reasonable collection of Australian QSA but just recently I purchased the 3 bar QSA to Lt Alfred Lascelles Royal Horse Artillery who died of enteric fever at Bloemfontein on the 16th of May 1900. He is my current project and is a gold mine of potential.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Introduction GEORGEGT351 7 years 8 months ago #47986

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1883
Welcome to the forum..... I am sure that there are many here who will help you in your research and vice versa......

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

Introduction GEORGEGT351 7 years 8 months ago #47987

• Elmarie
  • Thank you received: 951
Grave of Lt Alfred Lascelles
Elmarie Malherbe
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Georgegt351

Introduction GEORGEGT351 7 years 8 months ago #47994

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1541
Hello George
According to the Palmer casualty roll, Lt. A.Lascelles was born in September of 1873, educated at Marlborough, and entered the RA in 4/93. Promoted Lt. 4/96. Embarked for SA 12/99. Took part in the battle of Paardeburg and the advance on Bloemfontein. His name is inscribed on a tablet placed in Marlborough Chapel.
Good luck with your research; you might care to do a post on Lt. A. Lascelles in due course?
On the matter of South Australian QSA recipients, I have contributed two posts on this site re men of the SA Bushmen and the 6th SAIB. Like all QSA recipients, sometimes you can hit gold - and more often not!
Regards
IL.

Introduction GEORGEGT351 7 years 8 months ago #47995

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1541
George
A bit more info - in case you do not have it. Lt.Lascelles served with "T" Battery, RHA. Stirling's "Our Regiments" has a para on that Battery's activities; most of it unfortunately after your man's demise. The reference says that the Battery was heavily engaged at Diamond Hill and took part in the Eastern advance.
Regards
IL.

Introduction GEORGEGT351 7 years 8 months ago #47996

• Georgegt351
  • Georgegt351's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 31
I am impressed I have only been a member of this forum for under 12 hours and already have a photo of the grave. My next question is in which cemetery is this located?

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.390 seconds