Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Single KSA medals 7 years 11 months ago #46340

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1527
Gentlemen
The only time I was tempted to go for a single KSA was back in the 70's; when an interstate dealer advertised such to the BVC. Unfortunately, when it arrived, it was obviously renamed. So poorly done that I did wonder .....
Anyway, it went straight back. Possibly the reason for so many single KSAs is that the two medals for the campaign were often issued so far apart. And then there is the matter of the disposal of a recipient's medals after his death. I have known examples where a group of medals was broken up and individual items distributed among family members. Sometimes I wonder how any medal groups from the Victorian/Edwardian era managed to survive!
To return to topic, Henk's posts re single KSAs has made me rethink my approach. It really would be a simple matter to run each (on a list or on a popular on-line auction site - with which IL has no financial interest) across the Palmer list - Just in Case!
Meurig
There is some more background info on your Sjt. F.C.Newton on the Mafeking Siege Register. For example, his BSAC medal was for Mashonaland 1897. If you wish, I can send you a PM.
Regards
IL.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Single KSA medals 7 years 11 months ago #46343

• SWB
  • Thank you received: 448

LinneyI wrote: Meurig
There is some more background info on your Sjt. F.C.Newton on the Mafeking Siege Register. For example, his BSAC medal was for Mashonaland 1897. If you wish, I can send you a PM.
Regards
IL.

Thanks Ian, I have the MSR. It appears Newton's complete group is out there but sadly widely split.
Researcher & Collector
The Register of the Anglo-Boer Wars 1899-1902
theangloboerwars.blogspot.co.uk/
www.facebook.com/boerwarregister

Single KSA medals 7 years 11 months ago #46390

• Henk Loots
  • Henk Loots's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 442
Hi
Two more examples of single KSA's

• KSA, 2 bars SA’01, SA’02: Lieut E. D. Shipman, Bech’ld Rifles. Ernest Darcy Shipman was mentioned in Kitchener’s Despatch of 8 March 1902 :
“At Jakkalsfontein on 8 Feb 1902 attacked a laager with his troop and held them till reinforcements arrived” (LG 25 April 1902, p2769)
There were two Lieutenants with surname Shipman (brothers) in the Bechuanaland Rifles. However, Colin Walker in the “Mafeking Siege Register” confirms E D as the MiD recipient.
His QSA with bars DoM, OFS & Tvl was returned to Woolwich in March 1908, making the KSA his sole medal entitlement.

Lt Wilson and 25 men of the Natal Volunteer Composite Regiment left Vant’s Drift for Nqutu with two wagons. He put out 8 men about 1 000 yards in front , but no flankers or rear-guard. The party was attacked on the left by about 70 Boers and was eventually compelled to abandon the wagons and retire to Rorke’s Drift. One man was wounded in the incident and subsequently died, while 4 men were captured without firing a shot.
The Court of Enquiry considered that some attempt to keep off the enemy by firing should have been made and that Lt Wilson’s dispositions were faulty. The General Officer Commanding concurred and considered the attempt at self-defence made by those captured was “singularly feeble”. However, the 4 men were exonerated. (WO108/372: South African Surrenders)
• KSA, 2 bars SA’01, SA’02: 184 Tpr. T.W. Martin Natal V.C.R. VF+
Martin was one of the "feeble four" that surrendered. His parent unit was the Natal Carbineers (Tpr, No 800) and he received a QSA with bars DoL,OFS,Tvl & LNek off the NC roll

Henk
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: azyeoman

Single KSA medals 7 years 11 months ago #46391

• Rory
  • Thank you received: 2121
This is turning into a fantastic thread - thanks Henk

My sole contribution comes in the form of another NVCR man - 337 Tpr. V.V. Butler of the Natal Vol. Comp. Regt.

He was issued with a QSA with TVL clasp to the Vol. Comp. Regt, and I have his original discharge parchment. I wonder (Henk you might know) if he did anything "special" ala surrender like one of your feeble four.

A Hilton College man he was still at school in 1900 (refer to the photograph)

Regards

Rory
Attachments:

Single KSA medals 7 years 10 months ago #46544

• Henk Loots
Hi everybody
Another interesting single KSA

*KSA, 2 bars SA’01, SA’02: 3229 Pte F.Simons, 10th Hussars

Five men of the 10th Hussars were sent into Ladybrand on 26 March 1900 to arrest the Landdrost (Magistrate) and his Clerk. While getting a pony for the clerk, they were surrounded by a large number of Boers and captured. (Vide WO108/372 : SA Surrenders)
The SAFF Casualty Roll lists the 5 men under the correct date of 26 March, but the place is given as Sanna’s Post. In addition Simons’ regimental number is also incorrectly recorded as 3029. However, in the War Office’s lists of prisoners released at the Waterval Camp, north of Pretoria, on 6 June 1900, his correct number was stated.
Henk
Attachments:

Single KSA medals 7 years 10 months ago #46545

• Henk Loots
Hi everybody
Another interesting single KSA

*KSA, 2 bars SA’01, SA’02: 3229 Pte F.Simons, 10th Hussars

Five men of the 10th Hussars were sent into Ladybrand on 26 March 1900 to arrest the Landdrost (Magistrate) and his Clerk. While getting a pony for the clerk, they were surrounded by a large number of Boers and captured. (Vide WO108/372 : SA Surrenders)
The SAFF Casualty Roll lists the 5 men under the correct date of 26 March, but the place is given as Sanna’s Post. In addition Simons’ regimental number is also incorrectly recorded as 3029. However, in the War Office’s lists of prisoners released at the Waterval Camp, north of Pretoria, on 6 June 1900, his correct number was stated.
Henk
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brett Hendey, David Grant, Rory

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 1.753 seconds