Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Boer War Veteran 7 years 8 months ago #48055

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1883

Franceyne wrote: Mike, nice to meet you and thank you for replying. Yes, that is my grandfather, thank you so very much for the information! Having the date of his attestation is helpful in tracking his military history. You don't happen to know of a war the Black Watch participated in either before or after the 2nd Boer war ? I was lucky finding his WW1 attestation papers at they were amongst the ones which survived the WWII bombing in London England.

Franceyne

Depends on what you mean by War........

The war after the 2nd Boer War was World War One and before there were a number of campaigns but the only major one was the Egypt 1885 campaign...... Your man did not join till 1888........

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Boer War Veteran 7 years 8 months ago #48056

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1883
Franceyne / Brin

Here is another view of the Battle of Magersfontein.......

www.angloboerwar.com/forum/20-tribute-me...ersfontein-1899#6070

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

Boer War Veteran 7 years 8 months ago #48062

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
If you are quite sure that this is your grandfather, it would certainly be interesting a most interesting exercise to examine the medals you made reference to in your original post, simply because whilst this man did have some service overseas in Gibraltar, Egypt and South Africa in addition to his Home Service, none of it whatsoever was actually on campaign, in fact, 3722 Douglas Moodie was discharged, medically unfit on the 27th of November 1894, which does raise a few question marks.

Franceyne wrote: Mike, nice to meet you and thank you for replying. Yes, that is my grandfather, thank you so very much for the information! Having the date of his attestation is helpful in tracking his military history. You don't happen to know of a war the Black Watch participated in either before or after the 2nd Boer war ? I was lucky finding his WW1 attestation papers at they were amongst the ones which survived the WWII bombing in London England.

Franceyne

Boer War Veteran 7 years 8 months ago #48070

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4541
In the Boer War rolls, regimental number 3722 is a Pte G Quinn.

There is a 6003 Pte D Moodie, 1st BW, on the supplementary roll (WO100/190p303) with CC crossed through and entitlement to the KSA indicated. Then a 6003 Pte D Moodie, 2nd BW, on the supplementary roll (WO100/190p483) with clasp Transvaal. The 2nd BW QSA roll (WO100/190/377) lists 6003 Lance Corporal D Moodie with clasps Paar Drief Witt and CC. On the KSA roll (WO100/334p233) 6003 Pte Mooney is shown as earning the KSA with both clasps. The note says 'To 1st BW'.

7661 Pte D Moodie is listed for the 1st Volunteer Service Company, BW, with entitlement to what appears to be CC, OFS, Tr, 01 and 02 (WO100/190p520). The QSA roll (WO100/190/377) lists 7661 with clasps CC and OFS. A note says he was already in possession of the medal and required only the clasps from the 2nd BW roll.
Dr David Biggins

Boer War Veteran 7 years 8 months ago #48075

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
This matter of exact identity is very a important one, if you are sure about this mans family and birth details being correct, then he was not serving in the Black Watch during the Anglo Boer War, if he was 3722 Douglas Moodie, he was discharged, as already stated, as unfit in 1894, before the war.
This man was not 6003 or 7661, in fact, this latter mans name was David Moodie, the number 3722 was Douglas Moodie's number whilst he actually served with the regiment, after his discharge, that number became available for another man, as numbers were "owned" if you like, by a particular regiment, rather than being unique to a particular soldier.
The question of his name and how it was spelt is very clear in both WO97 and WO363, moreover, he signs his own surname as Moodie, he did not have seventeen years service in the Black Watch, WO363 confirms his prior service in the Royal Navy Reserve and interestingly, the Gordon Highlanders of Canada, which from memory, was their 50th Regiment, all of which was before joining the Royal Engineers in the Great War.
Again, you need to be quite sure about his exact identity before you can proceed further so you need to know his family details and not just his name.

Franceyne wrote: Hi, I’m new to the forum searching for information on the Boer War. Particularly on Scottish Grandfather who served in the Boer War I believe in the Black Watch.
Douglas Moodie (often misspelled as Moody) born 1869 in Dundee, Scotland was a veteran of the Boer War. He signed up sometime after the 1881 census at a young age and may have fibbed about his age. It’s been difficult tracking his military history since he switched back forth between the Royal Navy and the Black Watch. His WW1 Attestation Papers, indicated a total of 17 years in the Black Watch; the most recent of those years was 6 ½ yrs in the 42nd Black Watch No 3722. I don’t know his service number for his earlier years or for the Boer War. His Queen’s South Africa Medal, along with his other medals were stolen in a home robbery in 2000. I did find two individuals who were in the Boer War at the Forces War Records site as D Moodie, in the 1st and 2nd Battalion Black Watch: No 7661 Private Moodie, D and No 6003 Lce. Coopl. Moodie, D with no more information, therefore I don’t know which one was him.
Recently looking at Heritage Home site my other grandfather Albert Sadler (birth 14 Aug 1879 Lambeth, London) states he was a Boer War veteran. I believe this may be an error as I didn’t see a Boer War medal amongst his medals. He joined the Royal Navy Aug 1897 for 12 years, for the period of 11.11.99 to 31.8.01 the name of the ship is illegible.
If someone could direct me where to look, any help will be greatly appreciated.
Franceyne

Boer War Veteran 7 years 8 months ago #48078

• Franceyne
  • Franceyne's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 1
Nice to meet you, Frank and DJB. Thank you both very much for replying.

All of Douglas’ medals were stolen from my mother’s home, along with my Uncles and my mother’s jewelry in 2000. I’d seen Douglas’ medals before this, the Queen’s South Africa medal stood out being the most impressive. My cousin said he does have a ribbon but he doesn’t know which medal the ribbon belonged to.
Douglas’ actual birth was 13 Mar 1869 at 19 Constable Street in Dundee, Angus, an older brother was born in 1867 and his younger brother in 1871 all in Dundee. Douglas and his younger brother’s birth record, their surnames were misspelled as Mudie, but the correct spelling of his surname was Moodie, and how it was spelled on Douglas’ marriage and death certificates and the records of his father and older brother plus the later records of his younger brother. He always signed documents as Moodie, as did his children.
I suspect with the misspelling of his surname on his birth record he may not have had a birth record to provide when he enlisted. Douglas’ last residence was when he was 12 in 1881 was 4 Springhill in Dundee Angus, Forfarshire, by that time both his younger and older brother were no longer living at home.. I was told by the family he left home between 12-14 years of age to sign up with the military, I don't know which service army or navy, but thought it was navy but I haven't found a source. Being so young he may have fibbed about his age as being older. The military became his family, spending time back and forth from Army to Navy, up until he retired from the Navy in Victoria BC in 1912 before WW1.

I have one Royal Naval Reserve record in which he signed up in 10 Mar 1894 and retired in Victoria BC in 1912; that has his correct birth year as 1869; that would be more than 10 years; which was indicated in his WW1 attestation record.

I have two WW1 attestation papers, in both his birth year is incorrect as1872; it is him as it is the correct address in Victoria, BC., date of marriage and name of my grandmother and three of his children names and births are correct. What varies between the two attestation papers are the number of years of service.

The first attestation paper dated 4 Aug 1916: Active Militia: Gordon Highlanders of Canada ; Previous service 42nd Highlanders (Black Watch) 17 yrs; 50th G H of C 2 yrs

The second and later attestation paper, dated 14 Feb 1917: Black Watch 6 ½ years no 3722; RNR 10 years no 823U ; Gordon Highlanders Can no 341.
He was discharged due to Malaria, on that medical history it states he was previously treated for Malaria in Sept 1892 in the Military Hospital in Gibraltar (but it doesn’t indicate with what service).

I don’t know why the number of years in the 42 Highlanders (Black Watch) varied, unless it only indicated his most recent service or it was because of the different dates of birth. His R.N.R .service began in 1894 and ended in 1912, therefore he couldn’t have been in the R.N.R .when he was treated for Malaria in Sept 1892 in Gibraltar .
Would there be a 2nd attestation paper when he was transferred from the Royal Engineers to the Royal Engineers inland waters as a sapper as he was given another number?

My aunt who told me he was involved in a minor war, I don’t remember if she said it was before or after the Boer War nor do I know what she meant by a minor war but likely a campaign. Both my aunt and mom, also told me Douglas had surgery on his feet, the hospital where it was done was destroyed by the enemy and surgeon who did the surgery was killed. I suspect this may have been before WW1, as it was noted on his physical when he signed up he had very flat feet. The man at that time wore size 13 shores but was only 5’5”.

Would a man’s service number change if he were to leave his army unit for the navy then return to his previous unit in the army? He went back and forth between R.N.R .and army, seemingly army during conflicts and the R.N.R. during non combat years. I do know he was involved in the Boer War from his immediate family, his extended families descendants and from the Victoria Historical Society. His military history has been difficult to find, likely as his birth year for WW1 is incorrect and switching services. He likely fibbed about his age for WW1 as he tried to do so at age 70 for WW2, ( he was extremely loyal to the UK and the military).

Was there any indication of an address or location of the two Douglas Moodie 6003 or 1771 as I recall something to do with his medals arriving at a later date?

Thank you again for all the information,
Franceyne

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.409 seconds