Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Attestation at Port Elizabeth? Why? and other matters 8 years 7 months ago #42976

• SWB
  • Thank you received: 452
Hello

It would seem unlikely he sailed to SA with the express purpose of enlisting. At this time the South African Constabulary were recruiting in Canada, so he could have joined them and got there for free.

Many men from the USA (and Canada perhaps) arrived in South Africa either as merchant seaman or wranglers looking after the many thousands of horse and mules exported from the USA to south Africa by the British Army.

Do you know what his employment was on enlistment or before he enlisted?

Regards
Meurig
Researcher & Collector
The Register of the Anglo-Boer Wars 1899-1902
theangloboerwars.blogspot.co.uk/
www.facebook.com/boerwarregister
The following user(s) said Thank You: mrsgumosh

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Attestation at Port Elizabeth? Why? and other matters 8 years 7 months ago #42980

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1879
Hi Everyone.....

Just checked South African Constabulary and Canadian Scouts rolls and he is not there......

Would be interesting to see what unit he put on his land grant application.....

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

Attestation at Port Elizabeth? Why? and other matters 8 years 7 months ago #42982

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
I'm now a little confused, who exactly are we talking about, a man who enlisted into the SAMIF or a man who enlisted into the SAC, the two are somewhat different!

Attestation at Port Elizabeth? Why? and other matters 8 years 7 months ago #42984

• mrsgumosh
  • mrsgumosh's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
He put on his Volunteer Bounty application that he was a trooper in the 2nd Imperial Light Horse serving in the Western Transvaal under Col McKenzie, who I think was Duncan McKenzie - his attestation papers which I got from the UK Archives say this too - I attach them, hopefully not in contravention of the terms I signed off on for getting the papers :lol:

To answer Meurig's question in a later post, Charlie was a druggist (chemist/pharmacist) in Montreal. His father was also a druggist who owned several drug stores. The family was reasonably affluent. I wonder if in fact he may have been shipped off in disgrace.
Attachments:

Attestation at Port Elizabeth? Why? and other matters 8 years 7 months ago #42985

• mrsgumosh
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
He definitely signed up for the 2nd Imperial Light Horse which made him eligible under the bounty act in Canada for the bounty.

Attestation at Port Elizabeth? Why? and other matters 8 years 7 months ago #42986

• mrsgumosh
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
that was my thought too - my cousin has a bible given to him by his mother before he left which says

" To Charles H Parkin from his Mother AE Parkin. With love and best wishes for a prosperous journey and a safe return from S. Africa. 'May God Bless you until we meet again'."

So it sounds as if he wasn't going there forever, however, to wish your son a prosperous journey if you think he is going off to fight seems a tad odd to me?

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.466 seconds