• Page:

TOPIC:

Seeking details of G Kirkby 1899 8 years 9 months ago #42115

• glynnberry
  • glynnberry's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
I am Glynn Berry (ex Sapper). I have just found a medallion given to one Pvt G Kirkby in 1899 "for Merit. Army Signalling". He was apparently in 2nd Battalion, The Manchester Regiment.
He is a relative of whom I know nothing. If anyone has any way to expand on this base, please could they contact me?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Seeking details of G Kirkby 1899 8 years 9 months ago #42116

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1881

glynnberry wrote: I am Glynn Berry (ex Sapper). I have just found a medallion given to one Pvt G Kirkby in 1899 "for Merit. Army Signalling". He was apparently in 2nd Battalion, The Manchester Regiment.
He is a relative of whom I know nothing. If anyone has any way to expand on this base, please could they contact me?

No listing in FMP that I can find for ABW.....

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

Seeking details of G Kirkby 1899 8 years 9 months ago #42120

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
I think the first thing to do is to tell us the full name of your relative and why, as well as when, you believe he served in the Manchester Regiment.

glynnberry wrote: I am Glynn Berry (ex Sapper). I have just found a medallion given to one Pvt G Kirkby in 1899 "for Merit. Army Signalling". He was apparently in 2nd Battalion, The Manchester Regiment.

Seeking details of G Kirkby 1899 8 years 8 months ago #42359

• glynnberry
  • glynnberry's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
I am assuming "George" but do not know.
The medallion is clearly issued by 2nd Volunteer battalion of The manchester Regiment, so I assume he was serving in the unit at the time.

Seeking details of G Kirkby 1899 8 years 8 months ago #42361

• BereniceUK
  • Thank you received: 2304
The Manchester Regiment's archives are held at Tameside Local Studies Library at Ashton-under-Lyne.
www.tameside.gov.uk/archives/familyhistory/military
The following user(s) said Thank You: glynnberry

Seeking details of G Kirkby 1899 8 years 8 months ago #42369

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Okay, I think that you should actually start to do the family tree and find out his name and how he was related to you, if you are saying he served as a citizen soldier in the 2nd VB Manchester Regiment rather than being in the Army, the 2nd Battalion of the same, I would say that he did not see any service in South Africa during the Anglo Boer War.
Certainly, from memory, only around sixteen thousand men drawn from the Volunteer Battalions actually saw service out on the veldt, I know that you might think, good heavens, that is a huge number, but, in the grand scheme of things, it was certainly not, it was actually very few indeed, moreover, they tended to be hand picked men, mainly because the War Office preferred to use the Militia, although, as the war went on, more Volunteer Companies were deployed.
There was, however, a certain 7039 Private W C Kirkby in the 2nd VB Manchester Regiment who did see service in South Africa, with his comrades, who were drawn from all six Manchester Regiment Volunteer Battalions, a relative perhaps?
Both the 2nd and 4th VB Manchester Regiment recruited in the city itself, so, again, I would look at your family tree if I were you.

glynnberry wrote: I am assuming "George" but do not know.
The medallion is clearly issued by 2nd Volunteer battalion of The manchester Regiment, so I assume he was serving in the unit at the time.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.745 seconds