Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

QSA to a Leader in the NVAC 8 years 10 months ago #41408

• Rory
  • Rory's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2158
I have acquired a nicely toned QSA with clasps Tugela Heights and Relief of Ladysmith to LR. J. Cooper, N.V.A.C.

A number of medals to this outfit have passed through my hands over the years but none to a Leader. Does anyone know what (if any) criteria there were to attain this rank?

Regards

Rory

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

QSA to a Leader in the NVAC 8 years 10 months ago #41796

• Wombat
  • Thank you received: 15
Rory,

I think from memory a Leader is in charge of 25 men.

NATAL VOLUNTEER AMBULANCE CORPS.

The N.V.A.C. was formed by Colonel Gallwey P.M.O. Pietermaritzburg. Where 2000 Volunteers were taken from all social classes. “Gentlemen”, Lawyers, and Chemists, to Labourers, Miners, and Dock Loafers. Many put out of work by the war, or refugees from Transvaal. Their duties would be to retrieve wounded off the field, transport serious cases from advanced Hospitals and Dressing Stations, and transport cases from the Stationary Field Hospital to the railway. No official uniform was issued and in all they were wild and shabby looking, disorderly, unsymmetrical, and quite bizarre unit, who’s work in the field earned them the nick name of “The Body Snatchers”, which was given to them by the soldiers.
Under the command of Major Wright, the unsuitable and undesirables were gradually weeded out and the Corps began to improve, saving many lives and an infinite amount of pain. They earned the reputation of going wherever they were needed; often sustaining casualties among themselves, some even losing their lives. The Corps were now wearing some remnants of uniform. Khaki tunics had been supplied, along with “some” trousers. It was common to see a gaiter on one leg and a put tie on the other, and there was still a large variety of hats on show, from the Bowler hat, to the Tam-o-shanter, the Slouch hat to a hat of their own creation. All their possessions were carried hanging about their bodies on straps or pieces of string, the most valuable being their water bottle, which could be military style, that had been found, or just a simple glass bottle slung around the waist. Between them they carried all they needed. One man with a bungle of firewood dangling, another with a saucepan, a third with a kettle, and so on.
There is one story told by Frederick Treves, Surgeon, No. 4 Stationery Field Hospital. Who recalls how on February 8th 1900 150 seriously ill cases were carried on stretchers, by hand, from Spearman’s to Frere. This trek was undertaken by the much underestimated “Corps of Body Snatchers”. Who covered a distance of 25 miles on non existent roads, in the blazing South African heat and dust.
With 12 men to each stretcher, a total of 1,800 men were required. They began their journey at sunrise and accomplished the distance in only one day arriving at sunset that same day. Out of the 150 cases transported that day, only one life was lost. Considering every one of these cases was so seriously ill it was not advisable to transport them by any other means, such as Ox Wagon or Ambulance, due to the conditions of the road, this was a spectacular feat carried out by a very odd looking bunch.

The N.V.A.C. was disbanded in March 1900. Just one month after this incredible trek.

James.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rory

QSA to a Leader in the NVAC 8 years 10 months ago #41797

• Rory
  • Rory's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2158
Thanks James

Appreciated.

QSA to a Leader in the NVAC 8 years 10 months ago #41803

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 740
James

While looking at the service record of the NVAC - it was written up elsewhere on this forum - I found reference to the fact that although 12 men per stretcher were employed at the Battle of Colenso, later retraining reduced this number to eight. If this was indeed the case on 8 February 1900, then their achievement was even more remarkable.

Regards
Brett

QSA to a Leader in the NVAC 8 years 10 months ago #41806

• Wombat
  • Thank you received: 15

Brett Hendey wrote: James

While looking at the service record of the NVAC - it was written up elsewhere on this forum - I found reference to the fact that although 12 men per stretcher were employed at the Battle of Colenso, later retraining reduced this number to eight. If this was indeed the case on 8 February 1900, then their achievement was even more remarkable.

Regards
Brett

Brett,
I agree, the more you read about these men. The more you have to admire their courage and commitment to the tasks they were given.

I have always liked Medics, and of late have developed an interest in Dooley Bearers. I should have collected those chaps forty years ago too, now you don't see that many and they soon get snapped up.

Thanks for your comments.

James.

QSA to a Leader in the NVAC 8 years 10 months ago #41807

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 740
James
I think this must be a case of great (?) minds thinking alike! Recently, I have also developed an interest in stretcher bearers and the like. Although I had a NVAC QSA in my collection from early on, it was the acquisition of a Dooley Bearer QSA (Talana, Defence of Ladysmith) that really set me off on this collecting tangent. I have added a few more NVAC medals, and one to the Maritzburg Ambulance Corps. All have come via members of this forum, which is further proof of its importance in my life.
Regards
Brett

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.443 seconds