• Page:

TOPIC:

Albert Scott Davies 9 years 1 week ago #26823

• JulieC
  • JulieC's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
I have a photograph of my Grandfather Albert Scott Davies on a horse in Shrewsbury Shropshire. After a visit to Who Do You Think you Are I have been told his uniform is from the Boer War and probably the Imperial Yeomanry, with Shropshire Yeomanry contained within this unit. (Sorry if I have not got the terminology right). He was born in 1870 in Shrewsbury Shropshire and is missing from the 1901 census. The military expert says it looks like a Victory Parade C1902. Apparently he would have had a medal and would have been on a short list? This site has a possible WO127 number 513. Find my past has a possible (could this be the same one) 313 Marshall's Horse. I am really confused can any one help me I would love to get a copy of his war record and medal, is this possible? How do I go about it?
Many thanks
Julie

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Albert Scott Davies 9 years 1 week ago #26825

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
If you believe this man served in the Imperial Yeomanry, you should check all men with this name in WO128 at Kew, most of the papers, though, not all, are available on line, if you believe he served in the Cape Irregular's, in particular, Marshall's Horse, you should check for any surviving paper in WO126/89-90 at Kew.
Find any details that match with what you know to be actual fact and you have your man.

Albert Scott Davies 9 years 1 week ago #26826

• JulieC
  • JulieC's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Thank you so much. Unfortunately I have tried online and unable to work out the site. I do not know whether he is Imperial Yeomanry or Cape Irregulars, I think the last most unlikely. Therefore the record for Marshall Horse looks a bit improbable but I think I will keep your note and try to get to London some time to search at Kew. If he is in WO/128 then I don't have a reference number to take with me.
Thanks Julie

Albert Scott Davies 9 years 1 week ago #26827

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Most Imperial Yeomanry rank and file papers in WO128 are available on line via FMP, WO126/89-90 is available whilst actually at Kew.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.443 seconds