• Page:

TOPIC:

Introduction 9 years 2 weeks ago #26547

• Ellis1918
  • Ellis1918's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Thanks I have seen the list. I have background to all men on Roth Grammar School list with the exception of Lt W M Rhodes 63rd battery Royal Field Artillery. Cannot trace him on censuses which is strange as Rhodes family were a wealthy local family being solicitors and land owners. Do Roth Archives have anything on him ?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Introduction 9 years 2 weeks ago #26549

• LinneyI
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 1537
Ellis1918
I have an interest in the RA as a whole during the ABW and have looked up some info on Lt. W.M.Rhodes of 63Bty, RFA. This deals with his medal and clasp entitlement and his period of service in SA. If you do not already have this, let me know.
Regards
IL.

Introduction 9 years 2 weeks ago #26553

• Ellis1918
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Thanks but that is what I've probably got already from Ancestry. If I could find his Christian names I could try again to find him on a census.

Introduction 9 years 2 weeks ago #26554

• volunteer1860
  • Thank you received: 11
I've checked my main Boer war database and I have little info, definitely nothing picked up from the Advertiser, though its always possible it was missed. The Rhodes family I am familiar with are the ones connected with the York and Lancaster regiment so I've done a bit of digging as I would have begun tracking W M Rhodes down eventually anyway.

There was a Lt W W Rhodes on the ship "India" which sailed 23rd Jul 1903 from London to Australia, contracted to land at Bombay, plus there is a death recorded in the Royal Artillery Officers Deaths (via FMP) for a Lt W McT Rhodes on 28th Jun 1904 - checking around this date in the Rotherham Advertiser and South Yorkshire Times might provide an informative obituary. He died at Allahabad, India.

A birth is registered In Rotherham 1876 Q1 for a WILFRED McTURK RHODES, and Wilfred M appears in the 1881 and 1891 census at "Woodlands" on Doncaster Road, Rotherham. He was the son of James Rhodes, steel manufacturer and wife Helen. I think this man is a likely match especially as there weren't any other likely candidates.

I've started making use of the newspaper collection on FMP to search for the men I am having trouble identifying - the Sheffield Telegraph and Independent are available so they can provide a useful shortcut. Rotherham archives have a collection of Sheffield Telegraphs as well. There is probably quite a lot of information on the Rhodes family in general available - might be worth checking the Rotherham archives catalogue online.

Introduction 9 years 2 weeks ago #26556

• Ellis1918
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Found him on Ancestry. Yes he was Wilfred McTurk Rhodes died in India in 1904 . Thanks for your confirmation.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.620 seconds