Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

389 J Armstrong SALH founder member 9 years 4 months ago #24369

• pjac49
  • pjac49's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 32
I wonder if I have solved the puzzle of how John Armstrong was a 'labourer' when he joined,but was noted in his discharge papers as 'former occupation:banker'. See my initial post above.

I had a sudden flash-back to my days in the National Coal Board in the 1970's, did some checking. and confirmed that 'banker' was indeed a term used in mining in Britain. A'banker' was a person 'who worked at the top of the shaft(the bank), dispatching the coals and organising the workforce.He is in charge of loading or unloading the cage,drawing full tubs from the cages and replacing them with empty ones'.

I think , therefore,it's very likely he worked at a mine. Any thoughts from the guys in SA on how this fits with place of enlistment etc.?

Patrick

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

389 J Armstrong SALH founder member 9 years 4 months ago #24370

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Hello Patrick,
In 1899 the SAMIF quickly established a depot within the British Armies camp at Rosebank in Capetown, on the common I believe and this particular regiment was raised there.
Regards Frank

389 J Armstrong SALH founder member 9 years 4 months ago #24377

• Rory
  • Thank you received: 2149
Hi Patrick

The economic might of the then ZAR was founded on mining, primarily gold but also coal which was foound on the outskirts of the Witwatersrand.

The prospect of digging for and owning your own "claim" in addition to working with precious metals if you couldn't "go it alone" is what drew many types, Armstrong among them, to the Rand.

His being a "banker" dovetails very nicely with what most chaps were doing in and around Johannesburg at the time.

Regards

Rory

389 J Armstrong SALH founder member 9 years 4 months ago #24402

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Gentlemen,
It would certainly be very interesting to know exactly what percentage of the original rank and file Sakabulas were actually refugees from the Rand upon enlisting, I dare say, it would have been quite high within the first few weeks.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.355 seconds