Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

b52john 9 years 3 weeks ago #25845

I finally dug up the military record of Thomas Slater alias Morris.

I am 99% sure he started out in 1888 for 83 days with the 3rd Battalion Royal Lancaster Regiment (Militia) service No. 1721. Maybe that is why the alias.
I do not know why he used an alias but it is a family secret that went to the grave.

It looks like Tom was a "little" mischief in his tour in SA but went on to serve 2 years to 1901. I guess 1 day suspension of pay and 14 "impt H.L" (imprisonment Hard Labor?) may not be too bad service record after having served 8 years 61 days and received the QSA with Medal Clasps for Orange Free State, Elandslaagte and Defense of Ladysmith! Maybe he was just blowing off steam.

I was in the US Air Force for 4 and 2/3 years with about 12 months off and on in a B-52 as an Electronic Warfare Officer and never got closer than 8 miles up to Vietnam and was ready to leave the service.

I know it is my grandfather because the last record is his death certificate and how many Thomas Slaters died on 23 Feb 1955 in Beaver Falls General Hospital (where I was born) and fought in the Boer War.

Any speculation why he was "invalided" from service? What would "D.M.Unfit" mean. (Determined Mentally Unfit?) 2 years and 355 days in SA in a middle of a war like SA might make anyone D.M.Unfit! He was home almost 3 months before he was turned loose.

Thanks, if you give this a go. You have been helpful in my determination to continue the search. Any other suggestions as to records as in the disciplinary action or separation from service. would be appreciated.

FYI Tom left the service on 14 May 1901, married my grandmother 3 Sep 1901 and was in Southfork, Pennsylvania by 3 Oct 1901.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

b52john 9 years 3 weeks ago #25850

• coldstream
  • Thank you received: 214
Hello John,

Great news that you have pieced together some of your family history, good luck with any further research.

Cheers
Paul :)
"From a billow of the rolling veldt we looked back, and black columns were coming up behind us."

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.379 seconds