Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

QSA to 191 Sgt J.N.V.McL Ferguson, 5th QIB 9 years 4 months ago #23349

• jim51
  • jim51's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 104
Hi All,

Some years ago I purchased the above medal off an auction site mainly because he had been captured during the disaster at Onverwacht. Ferguson followed my collecting theme of medals to Queenslanders and address on enlistment was New Farm, Brisbane. He originally hailed from Stanthorpe.
I recently 'googled' his name and to my surprise it transpired that he enlisted in the Canadian army with PPCLI as 791 Norman Ferguson and died in Belgium on 2.6.16, age 41. He is commemorated on the Ypres Menin Gate Memorial. There is quite a bit of info on him, Attestation papers and a letter to friends.

So there is a WW1 trio, plaque & memorial cross out there somewhere. Something to keep an eye out for. I am wondering, what on earth tempted him to migrate? Snow boarding wouldn't have been a popular passtime in those days I imagine.

Cheers,

Jim

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

QSA to 191 Sgt J.N.V.McL Ferguson, 5th QIB 9 years 4 months ago #23359

• coldstream
  • Thank you received: 214
Hi Jim,

And a warm welcome to the forum.
"Your man" certainly got around!
That sounds like a nice medal to have in your collection, even nicer if you could reunite, good luck.
Look forward to your future posts, hope you enjoy your time here.

Cheers
Paul :)

jim51 wrote: Hi All,

Some years ago I purchased the above medal off an auction site mainly because he had been captured during the disaster at Onverwacht. Ferguson followed my collecting theme of medals to Queenslanders and address on enlistment was New Farm, Brisbane. He originally hailed from Stanthorpe.
I recently 'googled' his name and to my surprise it transpired that he enlisted in the Canadian army with PPCLI as 791 Norman Ferguson and died in Belgium on 2.6.16, age 41. He is commemorated on the Ypres Menin Gate Memorial. There is quite a bit of info on him, Attestation papers and a letter to friends.

So there is a WW1 trio, plaque & memorial cross out there somewhere. Something to keep an eye out for. I am wondering, what on earth tempted him to migrate? Snow boarding wouldn't have been a popular passtime in those days I imagine.

Cheers,

Jim

"From a billow of the rolling veldt we looked back, and black columns were coming up behind us."

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.307 seconds