Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

J A Youde 9 years 7 months ago #22320

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
LOL, well in that case, he could not have been 39 years old upon joining the TF and could not have served in the 2nd VB LNL Regt as a small boy, nor could he have been 45 years old when he died, thankfully, we know that cannot be the case! :ohmy:

kenyoude wrote: Doug,

Just at a tangent from Boer War stuff a moment I still have some confusion about John Arthur Youde, my paternal grandfather. On his original death certificate, which I have here, it states he died on 27th June 1924 in Tuberculosis Hospital UD Southport aged 45. The informant is down as Alice A. Hignett, cousin.

I also have his original marriage certificate here dated 14th June 1906 to Annie Counsell in Preston's Wesleyan Chapel in Marsh Lane. His occupation is down as diamond miner which fits in with the him going to Cape Town from Liverpool on SS Persic on 20th Mar 1902 seeking his fortune but only returning with TB!

However, on the grave stone in Southport (1.attached) he is down as dying on 26th July 1924 aged 26. Another in the grave is Alice A Hignett (2. attachment) who died 1949. If the second scenario is true then he couldn't have fought in the Boer War having been only born in 1898 or so.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

J A Youde 9 years 7 months ago #22321

• Doug
  • Thank you received: 17
Ken

Interesting. I had something like this in my family tree, all from Liverpool. It turns out that the cousin was far more than a cousin and was also in the same grave as my grandfather in Anfield cemetery!!

It sounds a silly question, but you are certain that John Arthur is your grandfather? It is very easy to see what you want to see when following the male line! Is your father still alive and has he confirmed this? If not, then you would have had something that has led you to this man I assume.

Sorry to get back to basics, but if you get lost at this stage, it gets messy and confusing later on!

Doug.
Doug Jenkins

J A Youde 9 years 7 months ago #22322

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Morning Doug,
I don't know if you have looked at this man, but, as ken has already stated who his father was and given his date of birth, this man must be his grandfather, his age must be correct and he must have served in the 2nd VB LNL, the National Guard, the TF and the Royal Defence Corps!
Kind regards Frank

Doug wrote: Ken

Interesting. I had something like this in my family tree, all from Liverpool. It turns out that the cousin was far more than a cousin and was also in the same grave as my grandfather in Anfield cemetery!!

It sounds a silly question, but you are certain that John Arthur is your grandfather? It is very easy to see what you want to see when following the male line! Is your father still alive and has he confirmed this? If not, then you would have had something that has led you to this man I assume.

Sorry to get back to basics, but if you get lost at this stage, it gets messy and confusing later on!

Doug.

Kens father and his father's sister and their dates of birth.

A, I am 39 years old
B, I am in the National Guard
C, I have served in the 2nd Volunteer Battalion Loyal North Lancashire Regiment. (this latter would have to have been before 1908)

Attachments:

J A Youde 9 years 7 months ago #22323

• kenyoude
  • kenyoude's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi Doug,

The plot thickens! Sadly my dad passed away in 2003. However, he had no recollection of his father (b.1917) since he died when my father was only 7. My father was brought up by his mother Annie (nee Counsell) and her two sisters - 'maiden aunts' as he used to refer to them as they never married.
The marriage and death certificates I have are the originals found in my father's sister's house when we cleared it after her death in 1977. On the other hand the birth certificate is a copy I sent for and interestingly has my grandfather down as being named John Thomas in column 2 but in column 10 (Name entered after registration)it says 'John Arthur on Certificate of Naming.

J A Youde 9 years 7 months ago #22324

• Doug
  • Thank you received: 17
Ken

Mine was similar. My dad, although he knew his father, didn't know where he was buried because he was away on active service in 1952, but it still shouldn't have stopped him from finding out!

The column you refer to allows parents to change the name of the child within 12 months, providing they have a baptism or other certificate to back it up. It usually just means a change of thought when someone in the family has died and they wanted to change or add a name in memory of them. So it looks like they have changed his name to include Arthur within 12 months, usually sooner, perhaps for that reason. Nothing sinister, but at least you know that.

I would suggest that you lay out what you have got and if there are any surviving family embers, ask them about people sooner than later, but don't tell them what you know, just ask what they know. Then go through the records and verify each part one by one.

Good luck.

Doug.
Doug Jenkins
The following user(s) said Thank You: kenyoude

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.537 seconds