• Page:

TOPIC:

Boer Rookie 9 years 8 months ago #21462

• fyrftr422
  • fyrftr422's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 2
I just recently found out that my Wife has family that served in the Boer War with the 13th Hussars (as well as in the Canadian Ordnance Corps in World War I). James Walter Streeter's CEF Attestation Papers list his previous military experience as ...

13th Hussars Regt. 7 years 23-3-96 to 22-3-03
Army Reserve 5 years 23-3-03 to 22-3-08
Territorial Force 3 years 349 days 15-4-08 to 28-3-12
and receiving
Queen's S.A. Medal with clasps O.F. State, Transvaal, Tugula Heights, Relief of Ladysmith and King's S.A. Medal with clasps S.A.1901-02

After his 15-yr. British Military service ended in 1912, he moved to London, Ontario, Canada, Married then enlisted in the CEF's COC on March 25, 1916 at the ripe old age of 39. I've ordered digitized copies of his Canadian C.E.F. service file and hope to learn more about his Boer War experience.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Boer Rookie 9 years 8 months ago #21469

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500
fyrftr422

Welcome to the forum and thank you for a great first post. It is always interesting to see pictures of the men and women themselves.

The information in the Canadian archives can be very detailed so I hope you find some useful information.

We have a little information on the 13th Hussars: www.angloboerwar.com/unit-information/im...its/498-13th-hussars

There is a picture of the NCO but guess he has not attained this rank during the Boer War?

best wishes
David
Dr David Biggins
The following user(s) said Thank You: fyrftr422

Boer Rookie 9 years 8 months ago #21475

• fyrftr422
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
I believe he attained the rank of Sergeant with the COC but I have absolutely no information about his British Army career other than what he stated on his CEF Attestation.

Boer Rookie 9 years 8 months ago #21480

• fyrftr422
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
I checked out the link you sent me, a little more thoroughly this time. First time I found nothing, the second time, I found a "Steeter JW" on the QSA roll. This must be the James Walter Streeter I'm looking for, Private #3739 on page 56 in the Regiment list you have here. Probably just a typo when it was copied.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.415 seconds