Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Bacon's / Sutherland's South African Battle Pictures 8 years 3 months ago #44211

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
They are without doubt certainly very colourful, but, there were certainly better artists around at the time, Caton Woodville does spring to mind!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Bacon's / Sutherland's South African Battle Pictures 8 years 3 months ago #44216

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1873
Somebody must have wanted them of they would not have existed.......

I have seen drawings like these done for the US Civil War, Zulu Wars, India and others for American Brewing Companies......

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

Bacon's / Sutherland's South African Battle Pictures 8 years 3 months ago #44217

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1527
Frank/Mike
These illustrations must have had a market at the time. Our host used the 1899 Sutherland pic of Elandslaagte in his book "Elandslaagte - Account and Medal Roll" and he comments that "Home uniforms were used in the picture to allow the reader to discern the different Regiments". This would have had an immediate appeal to "old soldiers" and others who wished to see the exploits of "their Regiment". In some cases, I assume a magnifying glass would have to be used!
Personally, I much prefer the work of Caton Woodville and Rene Bull. However, most of their work was on a much smaller compass than that attempted by Sutherland. Sutherland's work would not, I think, have translated well if published in Creswicke, "With the Flag" and Cassel. Too much detail for the page size and colouring would have been expensive. Unless someone corrects me, I assume that Sutherland's work would have been printed in much the same size and format as the 1896 lithograph of "The Thin Red Line" that has adorned a wall in my sitting room for the last 40-odd years.
Best regards
IL.

Bacon's / Sutherland's South African Battle Pictures 8 years 3 months ago #44218

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1873
Linney

I do have a couple of these on my wall as well, Richardson of the Strathcona`s wins his Victoria Cross......

My favorite war artist is Harry Payne......

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

Bacon's / Sutherland's South African Battle Pictures 8 years 3 months ago #44219

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1527
Mike
That type of wall decoration can certainly get a conversation going with a visitor! The original Victorian lithographs are quite hard to get here; however many years ago I also managed to find "The Last Grip" for a whole three dollars (and the The Thin Red Line for a bit more) and had them reframed by a local who did a great job). I also had a transparency made of "The Defence of Rorke's Drift" by DeNeuville (currently in the Art Gallery of NSW) anjd had it enlarged and printed and also framed. The last one was Spion Kop by a South African artist (shows Thorneycroft"s charge). Yews, I agree - they are very stirring stuff.
Nice to know someone else likes them as well!
Best regards
IL.

Bacon's / Sutherland's South African Battle Pictures 8 years 3 months ago #44262

• dunnboer
  • Thank you received: 357
These have always been among my favourite pieces of ephemera. I accept that they are neither artistic or accurate but for me they really capture the essence of the Boer War and the way it was perceived at home in 1899 and early 1900. I was fortunate many years ago to have acquired a bound folio of the set probably a salesman's sample book.

This includes the set together with "a special and graphic description for pasting on the back when framed"

My set is

1 Battle of Dundee (Glencoe) (there are two versions of this print, one with the british troops in tropical kit and the other with home service uniforms)
2 The Battle of Elandslaagte. (there are two versions of this print, one with the british troops in tropical kit and the other with home service uniforms)
3 The Defence of Mafeking
4 Battle of Belmont
5 Battle of Modder River
6 Siege of Ladysmith
7 The Battle of Pardeberg
8 The Last Barrier (Battle of Pieters Hill and Relief of Ladysmith)
9 Heroes of Ladysmith: Meeting of Generals Buller and White.
10 Dashing advance of the Canadians at Paardeberg
11 Relief of Mafeking
12 British Entry into Pretoria June 5th 1900
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 1.761 seconds