• Page:

TOPIC:

The Defence of Koegas Pont 9 years 7 months ago #21791

• Nell1895
  • Nell1895's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello. Looking through my grandmother's stuff recently, I came upon, tucked inside a book, a type-written poem signed by the author in ink at the bottom - seemingly Reg Sgt Major George Moore of Orpen's Light Horse - a poem called 'The Defence of Koegas Pont', dated 12 April 1900. It is very fragile and I'd like to see it in a collection of Boer War ephemera at a musuem or similar collection. I don't know much about the Boer War and so don't know the best museum or collection to contact or even if they'd be interested. Advice please!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

The Defence of Koegas Pont 9 years 7 months ago #21793

• SWB
  • Thank you received: 448
Hello Nell

Very interesting.

From A Gazetteer of the Second Anglo-Boer War 1899-1902, HM & MGM Jones (Military Press, Milton Keynes 1999)

"[2922: 2919-2221] a farm abutting the Orange River and postal agency in the Cape Colony (Hay district; Northern Cape), 55 km north of Prieska. Koegas was connected with Prieska* district by a pont across the river and a British garrison was posted there. Here 37 men of Orpen's Light Horse, a local volunteer unit under Capt Green, were attacked on 13 April 1900 by a small commando; at the expense of two killed and one man wounded the attack was repulsed. HMG III pp.16-17 (map no.43); Times IV p.5 (not mapped)."

In the casualty rolls this action is listed as "Koegas Poort".

There was an RSM GW Moore Orpen's (Light) Horse (not a casualty) - is he not a relation then?

Could you post an image of the poem?

As to a museum if you are in the UK I would suggest the National Army Museum or in SA the Anglo-Boer War Museum, Bloemfontein.

Regards
Meurig
Researcher & Collector
The Register of the Anglo-Boer Wars 1899-1902
theangloboerwars.blogspot.co.uk/
www.facebook.com/boerwarregister
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nell1895

The Defence of Koegas Pont 9 years 7 months ago #21794

• Nell1895
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Thanks! I will take a picture of it in the next day or two and post it. And get onto the National Army Museum. Best wishes. PS: I have no idea if he was a relative of ours - either that or one of my relatives was there I guess!

The Defence of Koegas Pont 9 years 7 months ago #21806

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 714
Neil

You are to be congratulated on your efforts to preserve and find a new home for a small piece of history. Thank you from all who have an interest in records of the Boer War.

Regards
Brett
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nell1895

The Defence of Koegas Pont 9 years 7 months ago #21834

• Nell1895
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Thanks Brett! I forgot to take a picture of it however...I will do though. Best wishes

The Defence of Koegas Pont 9 years 7 months ago #21843

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500
Nell1895,

There is short mention of this action in Stevens' book .

The enemy was beaten by Orpen's Horse at Koegaspont near Drackoentler on April 12th. This little force was very useful in surprising rebellious agriculturalists and giving them the choice of surrender or a trial at Capetown for treason, when terms of imprisonment from three to five years were inflicted.

Page 16 and 17 of Maurice's account confirm Meurig's information and explain why Orpen's Horse were stationed at Keogas Pont at the time.

A picture of the poem would be fascinating to see.

Best wishes
David
Dr David Biggins

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.428 seconds