• Page:

TOPIC:

New version of the site for testing 9 years 1 month ago #25180

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500
One of the notable facts about the site is the number of people who access it from a mobile device. If you have ever done this, you'll know it is not that easy to navigate around.

I have been working on a mobile-friendly version of the site that does all the current site does and is also easily navigable on a mobile device.

If you would like to see the new site, it is available at: http://www.abwtest.co.uk/

It contains a copy of the data from yesterday and you can log in, view pages, participate in the forum etc. The data in this test site will be deleted at some point so only add 'real' data to the live site.

The green logo is there to remind us that the site is different to the live site.

If you have an opportunity, please open the test site on your phone and see how it looks.

There are a couple of known issues I am still trying to resolve:

1. An error when displaying the shop categories
2. The Name Search screen appears to be blank. If you open this page, just press back to return to normality

If you find any others, please let me know.

One aspect you might see is that pages containing a lot of images may be slow to load if they have not been opened on the test site (which is most pages). This is the process of creating the thumbnail images on initial load. Once the thumbnails have been created once, the page will open normally. If the page gives a timeout error, just press f5 to allow the system time to continue processing the thumbnails.

As soon as these are resolved, I plan to switch over the live site to this mobile-friendly version.
Dr David Biggins

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

New version of the site for testing 9 years 1 month ago #25182

• coldstream
  • Thank you received: 214
Hello David,
Just had a play around on the test site and the first massive improvement is that the text is not squashed on the screen.
I access the forum quite a lot on my mobile and find some of the text is missing.
Images seem to load quite fast so no problems there.
Good update,well done.

Paul :)
"From a billow of the rolling veldt we looked back, and black columns were coming up behind us."

New version of the site for testing 9 years 1 month ago #25184

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Thank you Paul. Hopefully you will be able to scan the database while you're having a coffee at Wakefield on a Sunday morning.

The site has been busy with a surprising number of visitors from the far east trying to hack into the site. If they would like to know about the ABW, they can browse for free but these people seemed more intent on mischief than research. Someone from Hong Kong has been trying to access the site using a different means so I am slowly blocking off entire countries - not that that will affect any real users but it may improve the speed a little.
Dr David Biggins

New version of the site for testing 9 years 3 weeks ago #25721

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
I have been testing the upgrade of the site again today and all seems well. The new 'Wakefield' release is available at www.abwtest.co.uk/

I will continue to test it and if there are no issues, I will upgrade the live site tomorrow evening.

If you can spare a couple of minutes to log in, open a page, a furum post etc that would really help my testing and confirm there are no show-stoppers.

Note that pages containing many images (eg SA units, attestation pages etc) may give you a gateway error as the thumbnails are built. If this happens, refresh the page and it should appear).

With thanks
David
Dr David Biggins

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.396 seconds