Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Memorialising war dead 8 years 9 months ago #41719

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Certainly not just regimental memorials, but, a great many individual marked graves, some of them very impressive and expensive looking memorials, on Cathcart's Hill and as here to a member of the Lancashire Fusiliers at Scutari, indeed, they look somehow out of place "in theatre" and would be what you would expect to see in any Victorian churchyard in Great Britain.

SWB wrote:

BereniceUK wrote: I agree with Frank, the Crimea saw a change in how we thought of our war dead and I'd say that a part of this was because there were newspaper reporters out there who were sending back reports on how British soldiers were suffering, from disease, wounds, and lack of care by the army. This public awareness brought about an attempt to give them better nursing, and after that war we find what are, as far as I'm aware, the first public memorials to have inscribed the names of common soldiers.

The American Civil War took the memorialising of war dead a big step further.

..additionally the aftermath of the Crimea saw a number of regimental memorials erected on the battlefield - a new phenomenon too. The prosperity of mid to late Victorians enabled them to memorialise the civil dead in a new way - just take a look at expensive elaborate statuary in any Victorian cemetery in the UK. Fortunately (for us) this was applied to the military.

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.366 seconds