Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Private James Bowie, Manchester Regiment - died at Ladysmith 9 years 1 month ago #25727

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Hello Meurig,
To the very best of my knowledge, the 1st Battalions casualties on the day in question were men serving with Major Simpson and were certainly not attached to any other unit, I am very confident that Bowie was indeed one of them, despite being shown as missing, unlike the other men.
Simpson had pushed too far forward into the open, but, as stated, the whole battalion was engaged that on that day, except Eddowes and his own company.
Regards Frank

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Private James Bowie, Manchester Regiment - died at Ladysmith 9 years 1 month ago #25737

• SWB
  • Thank you received: 451
Hello Frank

Ah, got it - does the Manchester's history mention any casualties?

Regards
Meurig
Researcher & Collector
The Register of the Anglo-Boer Wars 1899-1902
theangloboerwars.blogspot.co.uk/
www.facebook.com/boerwarregister

Private James Bowie, Manchester Regiment - died at Ladysmith 9 years 1 month ago #25876

• Frank Kelley
Hello Meurig,
I managed to miss your post with all the recent changes to this site going on, I suppose it would quite likely mention them, certainly I would expect it to mention those wounded on the day in question.
However, upon looking at this day, for me, at least, the real issue that does present itself in my mind was the power struggle and very noticeable void left by Colonel Curran, I dare say under normal circumstances it would have merely been a simple matter of seniority, both Arthur Simpson and John Watson had originally joined the old 96th and would have known each other very well indeed, Simpson was senior, but, had been passed over and I suspect he was trying to make a name for himself on the day in question, he had been a field officer for almost a decade.
John Watson was the rising star, I dare say he was very keen to catch General French's eye, he got his "leg up" and his brevet promotion the following year, his courage on the 30th of October 1899, had been noticed and very clearly did his career absolutely no harm whatsoever.
Regards Frank

Private James Bowie, Manchester Regiment - died at Ladysmith 9 years 1 month ago #25967

• SWB
  • Thank you received: 451
Hello Frank

I know what you mean, the emails that notify you of a reply now end up in my trash bin as my email address does not appear in the "To" section. Suppose I must make a change to my email filters.

Thanks for the extra "colour"; the men would have wanted to have been well led but not want to be the foundations of a "thrusters" next promotion.

Regards
Meurig
Researcher & Collector
The Register of the Anglo-Boer Wars 1899-1902
theangloboerwars.blogspot.co.uk/
www.facebook.com/boerwarregister

Private James Bowie, Manchester Regiment - died at Ladysmith 9 years 1 month ago #26006

• Frank Kelley
Hello Meurig,
Well, I always feel that if is not broken, no need to fix it, I've certainly had many issues with the site of late.

Yes, indeed, not great to find yourself at war, along way from home and then find an equally significant enemy was the personal ambition your own commanders, I should imagine things calmed down upon Arthur Curran's return on the 2nd of November 1899, everyone would have known his place, once again, he certainly received a great reception from his rank and file, I dare say some of whom doubtless breathed a long sigh of relief.
Regards Frank

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.437 seconds