Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Low Fell, Co. Durham 1 year 5 months ago #86386

• BereniceUK
  • BereniceUK's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2294

Smethwick wrote: A 2019 Local Newspaper Article reported the memorial (unveiled in 1903) was due a "makeover", they have definitely cleaned it since you photographed it in 2015. The positioning fascinates me as my Google Street journey indicated there was a green and open space a bit further up Durham Road. My second thought was when you compare the depth of the base at the bottom it had undergone a rebuild at some time, my next thought was that they had raised the pavement surrounding it. You recently visited Oxford and no doubt "climbed" up The High admiring the controversial statue of Cecil John Rhodes on the way. If you got as far as Carfax you would have seen whichever way you approached there would have been an upward climb - the original settlement of Oxford was not built on a small hill, you would have climbed over the accumulated rubbish & debris of previous generations. So, are all stand-alone War Memorials gradually shrinking in height?

I see you have already posted about Trooper W B S Leathart, soon I will be adding to that. How did you work out the pronunciation of his surname?

I wonder if the memorial has been moved nearer the shops since its original unveiling for "road improvements"?

When I visited Oxford I had four or five colleges, a cathedral, and a cemetery to visit to photograph ABW memorials - no time for sightseeing!

As for the pronunciation of Leathart, I asked the gentleman who opened up the church for me, so hopefully he told me it right.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.418 seconds