Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Joseph Norman Griffiths, The Kings(Liverpool Regt.), killed 20.1.1902 9 years 6 months ago #22679

• BereniceUK
  • BereniceUK's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2294

Brett Hendey wrote: Lieutenant Hugh Frank Ievers, South African Mounted Rifles, (formerly Trooper , Natal Police, and Lieutenant, Royal Warwickshire Regiment).

Any idea where in the UK he was originally from or was he South African-born?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Joseph Norman Griffiths, The Kings(Liverpool Regt.), killed 20.1.1902 9 years 6 months ago #22684

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 716
Berenice

Hugh Frank Ievers was born on 14/2/1883, the son of Robert White Ievers and Mrs A E Ievers of Tullovin, Croom, County Limerick, Ireland.

The January 1902 Army List records his commission date as 12/6/1901, when he was serving with the Limerick City Artillery. I presume he later joined the Royal Warwickshire Regiment. His QSA has the clasps 'Cape Colony' and '1902'.

If you have any other information on Hugh Ievers and his family, I would be very pleased if you would share it.

Regards
Brett

Joseph Norman Griffiths, The Kings(Liverpool Regt.), killed 20.1.1902 9 years 6 months ago #22694

• BereniceUK
Brett, I asked elsewhere about him and received this response - 1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=217998

Joseph Norman Griffiths, The Kings(Liverpool Regt.), killed 20.1.1902 9 years 6 months ago #22704

• Brett Hendey
Berenice

Many thanks for enquiring elsewhere about Ievers and for providing the link. It produced an excellent result! The photograph of Ievers is the first I have seen, and, although not of the greatest quality, it is an invaluable addition to the Ievers' file. I am indeed most grateful to 'museumtom' for his response to your enquiry.

Reference to the "long descriptive letter to his father" is tantalising! It seems that Ievers was a devoted son, and his father may once have had an archive of information on Ievers' adventures in South Africa between 1902 and 1915. What a treasure trove that would be!!!!

Regards
Brett

Joseph Norman Griffiths, The Kings(Liverpool Regt.), killed 20.1.1902 9 years 6 months ago #22713

• BereniceUK
If I'm ever in Limerick I'll pop in the library and check the back copies of the local newspaper for published letters.

Joseph Norman Griffiths, The Kings(Liverpool Regt.), killed 20.1.1902 9 years 6 months ago #22720

• Brett Hendey
Thank you for the offer, Berenice. It is something to look forward to.

Regards
Brett

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.448 seconds