Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

2nd Volunteer Battalion, Lincolnshire Regiment 9 years 7 months ago #22122

• BereniceUK
  • BereniceUK's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2294
Am I right in thinking that the Boer War was the first major conflict the British Army fought where most regiments were primarily identified with the counties? At the time of the Crimea War the practice seemed to be along the lines of e.g. 84th Foot (Blankshire Regiment). Was that still the case in the First Boer War?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2nd Volunteer Battalion, Lincolnshire Regiment 9 years 7 months ago #22123

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
84th Foot were the York and Lancaster and recruited in that particular regimental district before 1881, but yes, during the Transvaal War, the infantry still used their numbers as their foremost title.
They still carried their colours into battle too!

BereniceUK wrote: Am I right in thinking that the Boer War was the first major conflict the British Army fought where most regiments were primarily identified with the counties? At the time of the Crimea War the practice seemed to be along the lines of e.g. 84th Foot (Blankshire Regiment). Was that still the case in the First Boer War?

2nd Volunteer Battalion, Lincolnshire Regiment 9 years 7 months ago #22130

• SWB
  • Thank you received: 448

BereniceUK wrote: Am I right in thinking that the Boer War was the first major conflict the British Army fought where most regiments were primarily identified with the counties? At the time of the Crimea War the practice seemed to be along the lines of e.g. 84th Foot (Blankshire Regiment). Was that still the case in the First Boer War?

Yes - in 1873 The Localisation of Forces Act was the beginning of tying regiments to geographical areas in order to increase recruitment. In 1881 the numbering of regiments was superseded by geographical names: "South Wales", "East Lancashire", "Argyll & Sutherland" etc.., although many of these names had existed prior to 1881 as sub-titles to numbered regiments or in volunteer unit titles.
Researcher & Collector
The Register of the Anglo-Boer Wars 1899-1902
theangloboerwars.blogspot.co.uk/
www.facebook.com/boerwarregister
The following user(s) said Thank You: BereniceUK

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.343 seconds