Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

February 27th 10 years 1 month ago #18160

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 740
Henk
I agree with Iain! A copy stand is unnecessary when you have great pictures to share.
Regards
Brett

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

February 27th 8 years 2 months ago #45411

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4530
From the diary of William Watson, Ladysmith, February 1900:

Formerly, Ladysmith was a rather pretty rural town, with lots of noble trees about it. Something like Ilkley, or Bowness, or Windermere. Now, it is like a disreputable, dilapidated, manufacturing village in Lancashire. There is hardly any despotism we have not endured at the hands of the military. All our cows were taken months ago, for the use of the army, so when our people got sick, they died for want of proper nourishment. There is hardly a householder in the town, who has not been robbed.

My own losses are as follows: A grove of large trees, which brought me in twenty-five pounds a year: 300. Fences destroyed: 30. Garden wrecked: 100

Of course these losses will never be made up to me, and yet these military puppies tell us we are a selfish lot. It is always the same. The soldiers are extolled and rewarded for valorous deeds they never performed, and the ruined non-combatant is conveniently ignored. If one could claim moral and intellectual damages, as they do in the Transvaal, ten thousand pounds would be a moderate claim for what I have undergone. Fifty years of purgatory, will not atone for the swear words I have used against the English government. — Horse flesh is no longer served out to us. There was never any need to feed us on the muck. It was only a dodge to make the war seem a more desperate affair than it is. The soldiers have all along had a very large herd of cattle. Of course the nation will be more liberal in its rewards to its brave army, if it only believes the soldiers were forced to eat their horses. It looks so heroic you know.
Dr David Biggins

February 27th 7 years 2 months ago #52266

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
1900 - From the diary of Miss Bella Craw in Ladysmith

"Amajuba Day" and no firing to speak of, a little in the distance, but we hear there was heavy fighting at Pieters. But our worst trouble is the rations are reduced again which, I fear, means no chance of relief for some little time.
Dr David Biggins

February 27th 7 years 2 months ago #52267

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
1900 - From the letters writer by Lt Col Park in Ladysmith

Stella’s birthday. I have written her a letter to Tahlee, and I suppose it will reach her some day. This is the anniversary of the Majuba Hill fight, and we expected the Boers to celebrate it by a good deal of extra firing, but it rained most of last night, and is very thick and drizzly this morning, and I think it has damped their ardour, as nothing has happened whatever, and the 6 in. gun has only fired one shot as yet.

We had excellent news last night of Cronje’s army having surrended to Roberts, which ought to have a good effect all round. Buller also said he was getting on well, and would be with us soon, which is rather vague but good, as far as it goes. The big railway bridge at Colenso, which has been broken down, is being repaired, and the line is in Buller’s hands as far as Pieters Station, only eight miles from here. He says the country is very difficult, and his progress slow, which we knew before. Anyway, I see no chance of relief this month now, and I suppose we must once more make up our minds to another ten days or so. I heard yesterday that there were only five days more biscuit here; but I don’t think that is true, as I know there is seven days’ reserve stock in all the posts, in addition to the regular stock in the commissariat, and there is still plenty of fresh meat of sorts. We complete seventeen weeks of siege today, and four calendar months tomorrow. What a long time! Four months purgatory or imprisonment, with a good deal of hard labour, and an off-chance of being killed, thrown in. As old Rujub plaintively said this morning - “My God bring relief soon, as all my soap is finished, and my clothes are worn out, and I have got nothing.” He has been getting along very well, all the same, and is quite well and very cheery Sir G. White is always very nice to him when he goes to Headquarters to cut his hair and Hunter’s. The last time he told him he belonged to a regiment of Bahadurs, and old Rujub came back bursting with pride.
Dr David Biggins

February 27th 7 years 2 months ago #52268

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
1900 - From the diary of Trooper A J Crosby, Natal Carbineers

Amajuba Day. Lieut. Rodwell called to see me. Writing the whole morning. Strolled as far as Mrs. Hayden’s in the afternoon, where I got a delicious cup of tea with some arrowroot biscuits. She also gave me a scone and some biscuits to take back with me. Official confirmation of Cronje’s surrender. This practically breaks the back of the Campaign. Lord Roberts has done splendidly to corner Cronje’s commando, as Cronje is regarded as the slimest General the Boers have. On this being generally made known to the Boers, it will thoroughly demoralize them, hence I think, a speedy termination of the war.
Dr David Biggins

February 27th 7 years 2 months ago #52272

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Such a pessimist, but, I suppose, perfectly understandable given what she had to endure.

djb wrote: 1900 - From the diary of Miss Bella Craw in Ladysmith

"Amajuba Day" and no firing to speak of, a little in the distance, but we hear there was heavy fighting at Pieters. But our worst trouble is the rations are reduced again which, I fear, means no chance of relief for some little time.

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.889 seconds