TOPIC:

February 6th 12 years 1 month ago #2195

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500
1900 - Kimberley siege day 115 (92%). Ladysmith siege day 97 (81%). Mafeking siege day 117 (53%). Lord Roberts leaves Cape Town for Modder River. Clements succeeds to the command at Colesberg.
1901 - Action of Lake Chrissie. French occupies Ermelo.
1902 - Commencement of drive in N.E. Free State against de Wet.
1906 - Commencement of the Natal Rebellion

In Kimberley:

Enemy’s cordite guns at Carter’s ridge opened at Otto’s Kopje and at the town.

Enemy’s guns from Schimdt’s farm, Wimbledon, Susanna and Kampersdam also fired, only damage one horse killed at Otto’s Kopje.

2 of the enemy’s cattle were driven in by natives into Beaconsfield.

Early in the afternoon firing was heard from the direction of the relief column.

I sent the following messages by helio or searchlight:

“From Int Kb to Int MD. Feb 6 No 175. Yesterday’s news enemy sniping cattle guard West Town. Enemy’s guns fired larger number of shells thajn usual at Village Kenilworth, Native hospital defences and town Kimberley.”

“From Int KB to Int MD. Feb 6 No 176 unusual movement large here cattle accompanied by large det mounted Boers from Scholtz Nek towards Wimbledon ridge observed last evening at dusk. Almost the whole of the garrison are now drawing soup instead of a portion of their meat ration – the Soupp Kitchen has been a great success and Capt Tyson, Dr Stuart and others who have managed it deserve a lot of praise.

In Ladysmith:

Firing was again continuous nearly all day along the Tugela, except that there appeared to be a pause of some hours before and after midday. The distance was hazy, and light was bad. The heliograph below refused to take or send messages, and we had no definite news. But at night it was confidently believed that relief was some miles nearer than in the morning. For myself, the sun and fever had hold of me, and I could only stand on Observation Hill and watch the far-off bursting of shells and the flash of a great gun which the Boers have placed in a mountain niche upon the horizon to our left of Monger's Hill, overlooking the Tugela. Sickness brought despondency, and I seemed only to see our countrymen throwing away their lives in vain against the defences of a gallant people fighting for their liberty.

One cannot help noticing the notable change of feeling towards the enemy which the war has brought. The Boers, instead of being spoken of as "ignorant brutes" and "cowards" have become "splendid fellows," admirable alike for strategy and courage. The hangers-on of Johannesburg capitalism have to keep their abusive contempt to themselves now, but happily only one or two of them have cared to remain in the beleaguered town.

At a mess where I was to-night, all the officers but one agreed there was not much glory in this war for the British soldier. It would only be remembered as the fine struggle of an untrained people for their liberty against an overwhelming power. The defence of the Tyrol against Ney was quoted as a parallel. The Colonel, it is true, pathetically anxious to justify everything to his mind and conscience, and trying to hate the enemy he was fighting, stuck to his patriotic protests; but he was alone, and the conversation was significant of a very general change. Not that this prevents any one from longing for Buller's victory and our relief, though the field were covered with the dead defenders of their freedom.

In Mafeking:

Shelling all day, and firing at night. Two natives were killed and Colonel Hore, commanding Protectorate Regiment, had a narrow escape whilst returning from the Court of Summary Jurisdiction.
Dr David Biggins

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

February 6th 8 years 1 month ago #45129

• djb
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
From the diary of William Watson, Ladysmith, February 1900:

Yesterday’s fight renewed. Buller’s guns never cease roaring. He’s got a tough job, there must be many killed. Every hill is a redoubt, and the rebels have had three month’s leisure, in which to strengthen them with the innumerable blocks of stone, lying ready to their hands. — Rations black tea and dry bread. — Three columns of Buller’s army surround us and the rebels, so we may expect to be relieved...someday. — President Steyn has fled to Pretoria for protection, but whether from his own people, or from Lord Roberts’ army, I don’t know. — Rumour says Boers want peace. Of course they do, but who is to pay the piper, and compensate ruined Natal. — Eggs 32/6 a dozen. — A quarter pound tin of tobacco sold for two pounds on the market. Before the war, the price was 1/9.
Dr David Biggins

February 6th 7 years 1 month ago #51815

• djb
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
1900 - From the diary of Miss Bella Craw in Ladysmith

The same firing all day. It sounds no nearer though. At one time it sounded like incessant thunder. We have not heard the result. Horseflesh served out every day. I shall have to get very hungry before I eat it.
Dr David Biggins

February 6th 7 years 1 month ago #51816

• djb
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
1900 - From the diary of Trooper A J Crosby, Natal Carbineers

Cannonading resumed about the same time as yesterday but heavier. Doctor gave me permission to bathe, which I promptly took advantage of, feeling much cleaner and happier. If it were possible to get some decent food, I would soon get to my normal condition again. Many are dying for want of proper nourishment and medicine. Passing the mortuary this morning, I counted eleven bodies sewn up in blankets, waiting burial. The whole of these men were reduced to mere skeletons. 13 were buried yesterday. The awful way in which the poor fellows drop off is appalling and takes away what remaining pluck left, strive how we will against it. Another move. Kitsendorf and Coyle and myself were taken to a Bell Tent, which being lined, makes it much cooler. Ground very lumpy and being without bedsteads made it very uncomfortable and in consequence spent rather an unhappy night.
Dr David Biggins

February 6th 7 years 1 month ago #51826

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Good gracious, eggs up in price again, that's well over a further two shillings in just a few days, truly shocking!

djb wrote: From the diary of William Watson, Ladysmith, February 1900:

Yesterday’s fight renewed. Buller’s guns never cease roaring. He’s got a tough job, there must be many killed. Every hill is a redoubt, and the rebels have had three month’s leisure, in which to strengthen them with the innumerable blocks of stone, lying ready to their hands. — Rations black tea and dry bread. — Three columns of Buller’s army surround us and the rebels, so we may expect to be relieved...someday. — President Steyn has fled to Pretoria for protection, but whether from his own people, or from Lord Roberts’ army, I don’t know. — Rumour says Boers want peace. Of course they do, but who is to pay the piper, and compensate ruined Natal. — Eggs 32/6 a dozen. — A quarter pound tin of tobacco sold for two pounds on the market. Before the war, the price was 1/9.

February 6th 7 years 1 month ago #51831

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1873
But the chicken is saying thank god they want to keep me alive........

Frank Kelley wrote: Good gracious, eggs up in price again, that's well over a further two shillings in just a few days, truly shocking!

djb wrote: From the diary of William Watson, Ladysmith, February 1900:

Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.566 seconds