TOPIC:

Re: KSA 11 years 1 month ago #8978

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4542
IL,

There are certainly a few 26-26 clasp medals around. Some are unnamed (and therefore official?) while others appear on named and renamed medals (unofficial?).

Do you manage to acquire on in the end?

David
Dr David Biggins

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: KSA 11 years 1 month ago #8982

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1541
David
Yes, one turned up in a Sydney militaria shop several years ago; I think I sent you a CD with some pics, etc, on it and there was a composite pic of my 26B done by my mate Peter Wilkins before I had a digicam. Unnamed and really a nice item.
Regards
IL.

KSA 11 years 1 month ago #8983

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1883
Good Morning David and IL.....

The one I have in my collection is one of the official ones (26B), made up by the mint....

I thought I posted a picture of it here but cannot find it now....

There is another in a museum here that was purchased with the RUSI collection.....

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

KSA 11 years 1 month ago #9007

• LinneyI
Mike
It was in Medals and Awards under Made Up QSA with all the bars. David assisted me in establishing that mine was made up for a Master Tailor to affix bars, on medals to be issued, in the correct sequence. I assume yours was the same. I seem to recall that Forum members ID'd half a dozen or so such items to be currently known of. I don't count erased QSA's with "all the bars added" or named ones similar for that matter. However, it is all a matter of choice.
Regards
IL.

KSA 11 years 1 month ago #9008

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1883
Good Afternoon IL.....

One of these, that I have seen and from the records that came with it when they were obtained from R.U.S.I., is marked as a "Gift from the Master of The Mint", on the documentation.....

I understand that they were sent to various museums throughout the Commonwealth, and this one is marked Number 4 on the documents.....

I have seen and catalogued the following medals that were also made up by the mint and placed in R.U.S.U. collection, all are affixed to un-named planchets.....

1) Of course the QSA....
2) Africa Genreal Service with bars up to Nandi 1915.....
3) Naval Good Shooting Medal
4) Khedive's Sudan 1986-1908
5) East and West Africa
6) Egypt Medal 1882
7) India General Service Medal 1854
8 ) Army of India Medal
9) Military General Service Medal with all the Bars (Medal engraved Gift from M.of M.)
10) Naval General Service Medal with nearly 40 Bars (Medal engraved Gift from M.of M.)
11) And a number more.

There were also a large number of made up medals with no bars and un-named planchets.....

To raise funds for the Museum a large number of the plain planchets (with no suspenders) were sold at D.N.W. last year.....

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb

KSA 11 years 1 month ago #9013

• LinneyI
Mike,
Thanks for reply. Yes, I recall that info from your earlier posts. At this remove, I suppose it really does not matter if a 24/26B assembled on a never-named planchet was a Museum item or that for a Master Tailor. We are extremely fortunate if we have custody of one! I wonder if KSA's were similarly distributed? A couple of City Coins lists ago, I did see a KSA with the usual two bars (marked specimin) on offer. I had a decent go - but missed it.
Regards
IL.

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.470 seconds