Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Attestation papers and Discharge papers. 3 years 8 months ago #70998

• Rory
  • Thank you received: 2150
The short answer is that all Colonial (SA) attestation papers that have survived and still exist, are housed at the TNA at Kew in the UK.

You would have to get a researcher, once they are open again, to copy the entire file of forms for you.

Regards

Rory
The following user(s) said Thank You: zimscout

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Attestation papers and Discharge papers. 3 years 8 months ago #71002

• jim51
  • Thank you received: 104
The Queensland Archives holds digital copies of the pay sheets for the Queensland Contingents. I have copies of some and they are most useful as they provide details of the soldier’s movements while in South Africa.
The National Archives holds copies of Attestation Papers for the Commonwealth Contingents. The couple I have don’t have much info. The pay sheets are much more useful.
Jim

Attestation papers and Discharge papers. 3 years 8 months ago #71004

• zimscout
  • zimscout's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1
Thanks, Good info to have I try and check out the pay rolls.

Attestation papers and Discharge papers. 3 years 8 months ago #71017

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Dan Driscoll's lads were raised on the 17th of March 1900 at Aliwal North as Class C troopers within the SAMIF for general service throughout the theatre of campaign for the duration of hostilities, although, a particular individual was under no compunction to actually serve that long, for example, it might be as little as three months.
Surviving rank and file papers are in WO126/40-43 at Kew, it is important to note that there are no papers for SAMIF officers with direct entry commissions.
The regiment was disbanded after Vereeniging on the 4th of July 1902 at Bloemfontein.

zimscout wrote: Hi
Thanks for the info. However I was not asking from an Australian perspective. I am only interested in the Driscoll Scouts, no matter where the men may come from. On occasion when buying a QSA medal to the regiment/unit I get an attestation papers or discharge papers. What I am asking is where would I find these and how would I go about getting them.

The following user(s) said Thank You: zimscout

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.477 seconds