Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Any Preston North End supporters out there? 1 year 9 months ago #84469

• BereniceUK
  • Thank you received: 2307
Back in the 1960s the F.A. Cup final was the one match of the season to be shown live on British television, and the first final I ever watched on the box was Preston North End losing to West Ham United in 1964.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Any Preston North End supporters out there? 1 year 9 months ago #84475

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
You can get Netflix here, although, I dare say, their membership is dropping off a bit in these desperate times!

QSAMIKE wrote: The funny thing is I just watched the TV series (on Netflix) called The English Game, I guess our UK members had it on their regular TV..... I thought it was quite entertaining and wonder how historically accurate it is as it supposedly took place in 1879.....

Mike

Any Preston North End supporters out there? 1 year 9 months ago #84479

• Smethwick
  • Smethwick's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 836
Mike - I don't have Netflix but have visited en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_English_Game

The 1879 quarter final match between Old Etonians and Darwen did take place and Old Etonians went on to win the final 1-0 against Clapham Rovers. (I am surprised that old Etonians figure so highly in the early FA Cup as I thought they only played "rugger" there is those days.)

Julian Fellowes (main author and also of Downtown Abbey fame) generally does a good job of making the factual parts of his fiction true to history. It would be interesting if he wrote something based on the ABW, unfortunately I have no influence on him.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.829 seconds