Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Dr Ralph Tennyson Jupp - Civil surgeon - founder of British Film and Cinema 1 year 10 months ago #83792

• Regor
  • Regor's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 3
Hi! My name is Roger. I am a retired (young 73!) I.T. Digital Preservation Manager. My time is spent researching not-for-profit local history here at Twickenham London. Currently working on the history of the local Twickenham Film Studios. The founder was a Doctor Ralph Tennyson Jupp who single handed influenced the British Film and Cinema Industry.
He started life as a tailor trained by his immigrant Irish master tailor father. He then qualified as a doctor. Next, he appears as a Civil Surgeon in the second Boer War. He was badly injured in the ear and during convalescence visiting a local cinema daily had the vision of a purpose-built cinema in every town. His injuries put a halt to his medical career. He went on to create one of the first and biggest film studios and cinema chain with investment from his army colleagues.
Sadly, he died of pneumonia at the early age of 45. He was a truly much loved/admired, unique person. I am not familiar with the Boer War records but hope that through the skill and kindness of people in the forum they can guide me to any information on Jupp that exists/can be found. I am curious as to what made this special man what he was.

I have attached a very rare photograph of him.

Thanks
Roger
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Dr Ralph Tennyson Jupp - Civil surgeon - founder of British Film and Cinema 1 year 10 months ago #83794

• BereniceUK
  • Thank you received: 2307
He was in Walsall on Thursday, 20th September, 1900, being a member of Walsall Liberal Club, and attending a meeting there that evening. [Source: Birmingham Daily Post, 21.9.1900]

No mention of whether that was before or after he'd been in South Africa.
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb, Regor

Dr Ralph Tennyson Jupp - Civil surgeon - founder of British Film and Cinema 1 year 10 months ago #83795

• Dave F
  • Thank you received: 1181
Hello Roger
Welcome to the forum.
I have found a Ralph Tennyson Jupp who was born in 1875 at Walsall Staffordshire.
His Boer war service as a civil Surgeon entitled him to a Queens South Africa medal with 5 clasps. Orange Free State, Cape Colony, Transvaal, and 1901 /1902 date clasps.
He was also a member of the Royal Albert Lodge Klerksdorp. Initiated in 1902.
I have enclosed a record which gives a good overview of his services to medical issues in South Africa.
I also found a pension record for a Lieutenant R T Jupp R A M C but no other detail with regard to him having joined them. When he returned to England he made a trip to Sydney Australia on the ship Militades he was aged 32. Not sure if he married? 1918 has him living at Number 10 Cheyne Row, there is a Lilian Annie Jupp recorded but not sure if she was a sister or wife. I believe he died on June 6th 1921 at 44 Regent Street at the Chalfont Park Hotel Gerrards Cross.

If you require his medal rolls, I can post them on the forum for you later today.

Best regards

Dave.......
You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.
Best regards,
Dave
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb

Dr Ralph Tennyson Jupp - Civil surgeon - founder of British Film and Cinema 1 year 10 months ago #83796

• Dave F

Dr R T Jupps Medal Rolls.

Dave.......
Best regards,
Dave
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb

Dr Ralph Tennyson Jupp - Civil surgeon - founder of British Film and Cinema 1 year 10 months ago #83797

• Regor
  • Regor's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 3
Thanks for quick reply. He never forgot his service days.Once his film empire up and running he was a major fund raiser across the film industry for medical supplies and trucks which he personally supervised in WW1 on near East front lines.

This message has an attachment file.
Please log in or register to see it.

Dr Ralph Tennyson Jupp - Civil surgeon - founder of British Film and Cinema 1 year 10 months ago #83798

• Dave F
With reference to his ear injury/ wounding. I did not find a record in the South Africa Field Force Casualty List , ref - Civil Surgeon R T Jupp. Do you have any information on where you think this injury may have occurred during his time in South Africa ?

PS..... I believe he did marry in 1914, to Lilian Ann Grice?
Best regards,
Dave

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.886 seconds