Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

2017 Meeting of the ABW Antipodean Chapter. 6 years 11 months ago #52942

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Shall there be light refreshments and alcoholic drinks available too, on the day in question, Ian?:woohoo:

LinneyI wrote: Interested members
IL hereby advises of the holding of the next ABW Antipodean Chapter meeting in Hobart, Tasmania, in early May, 2017. The actual venue for the meeting has not yet been arranged (the last one was pretty good, Stephen!) and, after a formal acknowledgement of David's providing such a valuable forum for us all to share, the meeting agenda is fluid. Doubtless, the latest QSA research projects will be aired at length - and IL would like to know more of NZ recruitment policies for their Contingents.
Should any member in the Southern Reaches of the Antipodes like to attend, please email me.
Regards
IL.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2017 Meeting of the ABW Antipodean Chapter. 6 years 11 months ago #52943

• LinneyI
  • LinneyI's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1527
Frank
Be assured that the hostelry Stephen selects will surely have a good steak menu and a comprehensive selection of local ales and wines. Along with the obligatory pic of the Historic chapter meeting, a description of the event will be posted.
Best regards
IL.

2017 Meeting of the ABW Antipodean Chapter. 6 years 11 months ago #52952

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Good gracious me, Ian, I really cannot remember the last time I had a half decent steak, well, I do wish I could actually be there, where so ever, there may be, on the day in question, but, like Brett, sadly, I cannot, so I will simply wish you a super day and don't forget to down a couple for me, my regards to Stephen when you see him.

Don't forget to get a photo of the girl actually taking the photos on your behalf.
(FK always wonders what an average "Sheila" looks like, a certain Katherine Leigh Richie, one assumes!:) crikey strewth mate, I really must stop talking Aussie, people might get the wrong idea.)

2017 Meeting of the ABW Antipodean Chapter. 6 years 10 months ago #53553

• LinneyI
  • LinneyI's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1527
Gentlemen
The 2017 ABWAC get-together occurred on Wednesday, 10th May at the Ball-and-Chain Steakhouse, Salamanca Place, Hobart. No other takers - so it was just IL and Stephen Bayley to tackle the fare. The first and only item of business was a toast to David and the regular contributors to the Forum. Then matters got down to discussing recent acquisitions. Stephen had recently added ANOTHER NZ QSA with "Rhodesia" clasp (amongst others) to his collection and IL was able to provide Stephen with details of the ABW service of HMS "Rattler" plus a medal roll. Naval QSAs were discussed; as was IL's recent acquisition of a QSA to NSW Imperial Bushmen. Discussion then became more general.
The fare was excellent (the steaks almost overflowing the plates), the Holm Oak Cab/Sav was pretty good and - after the customary pic - the stalwarts wended their way homewards.
IL has to apologise for appearing to be slightly inebriated in the attached pic. Really, he was just savouring the last of the glass!
Regards to all
IL
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb, Stephen Bayley, Frank Kelley

2017 Meeting of the ABW Antipodean Chapter. 6 years 10 months ago #53556

• Stephen Bayley
  • Thank you received: 32
Greetings Frank,

Ian passed on your regards, good to hear from you. Life is going well however albeit very busy and my contributions to this site have been meagher to say the least!!

I am enjoying my medal collecting and researching with some success. I tend to share at least one of these at our annual ABW Antipodean Chapter. I must share at least one of these stories for the ABW before to long!!

Trust you are well.

Cheers
Stephen

2017 Meeting of the ABW Antipodean Chapter. 6 years 10 months ago #53557

• Stephen Bayley
  • Thank you received: 32

Ian,

Great to catch up and talk through a range of topics. Thanks for the information on the HMS Rattler. Found the "safe" place I had put Pte E Carr QSA. Phew!! Inserted are two pics of the engraving on the QSA for your viewing pleasure.

Cheers
Stephen
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.635 seconds